Film Scanner

meesh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know i've asked a variation of this question before(about how to scan a negative). Is there a place I can go to have my negatives scanned? I passed by ritz camera the other day and they told me that they would scan it for 75cents a strip. I have A LOT to scan, so anywhere you recommend? Is 75cents pretty reasonable?

Edit: Oops forgot to mention, Id prefer a place in or around los angeles, ca. thanks!

Well, it's all about quality. If you're getting anything vaguely useable for .75 a strip, yes you're doing just fine. Typical for high-res scans is $8/frame to put it into perspective, that's for 20-25MB resolution. If quality doesn't matter, go with the cheapest you can find.

Dave

wow... i didnt realize it could get pretty pricey... i have A LOT of frames i want to scan... do you think it would be cheaper to buy a used scanner and sell it after im done? I only want to scan all the photos im taking during my photo class...

Yes, I would *definitely* recommend finding a second-hand film scanner. I think you will need hi-res scans for a photography class as I'm sure the quality of your work will be of significance, and cost will be a major factor if you are dealing with some volume as it sounds like you are.

A little while ago I got a Minolta Dimage Dual Scan II, which is an inexpensive scanner from five or six years ago. Cost me less than $100 but I may have gotten a little lucky with that, but it's not too far from what you'd expect. With it the process is still time consuming as it takes time to remove dust, adjust colours and exposure and sharpening as needed, but the results are very good. Definitely what I get from it is significantly better than what I was paying $8/frame for, as they are 30MB files and noticeably smoother and richer than the pro labs gave me. I am told this is largely due to the time put in scanning, and if the pro lab spent more time with a specific scan they could get better results but you can't pay them to do that.

So I would think most mid-level scanners would do what you need for a decent price.

If you want, email me or PM me and I can send you sample scans of cheap scans, expensive scans, and then scans with my old machine so you can see what I'm talking about.

Dave

Hi Burt,

Yes, there's a carrier for each. The slide carrier holds 4 slides and the negative carrier holds 6 frames. One would want to make sure they were included with any purchase.

Dave

I have a Dimage Scan Elite 5400II. Since Konica Minolta discontinued their digital lines is there anywhere to get software upgrades for this product. Mine will not let me batch scan anymore and I have to do each negative individually. I am thinking of removing the software and then reloading, but I am afraid to do this if there is nowhere to get upgrades or support. BTW am new here just joined today.

You might want to try A&I in L.A. they are wonderful at developing and printing, I think they do custom scanning as well.

Richard

Most reactions

Back