film slr camera question

DesRosiers13

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
hi, i recently purchased this film slr from a buddy cause im going to be taking a photography class next semester. its a Pentax K1000. I heard it a great camera to learn on so i figured i would take it. I noticed the top of the frame is a bit bent. Im just curious if that will have an affect on exposure at all. it has that thin black seal going around it but where the corner is pushed in (left side), it raised the other end up. I dont know exactly if that will affect anything or not, so i figured i would ask. thankyou!
-dave

heres some pics to aide you in my description

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/had_car_stolen/DSCF3337.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/had_car_stolen/DSCF3336.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/had_car_stolen/DSCF3331.jpg

Firstly put a cheap roll through it... you will soon see if the "Bump" is significant. If not go for it...

The K1000 is a really good basic camera with mainly manual settings . from a well known and respected brand. The same can be said about Canon, Minolta, Nikon, etc You Got a good camera. If you can capture / construct good images with a basic camera you will be able to master anything. This type of camera is probably the best sort of thing to learn on . (At least on THIS Planet)
Good lenses are available for this camera. so....
the camera is just a box that lets the righ amount of light in at the right time.
The 3 most important things are

The lens..... Focus the light add the contrast and definition. (Plus a few other jobs...) Get the best you can
The Film. .. Buy the best film you can afford. ... it records the image that you work so hard to capture. (Depends on the job you want to do with it but MY favorites were FUJI VELVIA (HOT colour). Kodak Tri -X Good mono grain and atmosphere . And scotch 400 (Sadly gone now. Muted colour, big grain. B A G S of atmosphere) Play about and find one you like... for whatever job you want to do...
The Brain ....... If I need to explain that one .... go to e-bay and sell the camera now....

you can take award winning photos on a camera like that. But if the brain is not tuned you can have an EOS 1 DS Mkii an L series lens and STILL cut Grannies feet and head off with a lamp post growing out of her head....

ok, i bought a roll, used it and ill have the pics back tomrorow. ill keep you updated on how they came out! thankyou for alll of your info! it was really helpfull! i am a true beginner but look forward to a lifetime of fun!
-dave

looks like its been dropped n landed on its head but I wouldn't worry too much if you can see fine to focus then the pentaprism which is housed in this part of the camera is OK and shouldn't affect the light tight chamber where the film sits.

I used the k1000 or versions of it for years. It is a fine piece of equipment for beginner and experienced shooter alike. what it is not for is the beginner who does not want to learn about photography but to point it and then pick up the pictures. or stick a card in the computer. the K makes you actually think,.... oh the horror of it all/

yea, i was able to see fine and everything seemed to function properly when i did the test roll. Im hoping all came out ok. it was a nice package. i recieved 2 lenses telephoto lens and a wide angle lense. also a few filters and many other things. i dont know what they all do yet, but i have been researching and reading up on everything, so hopfully ill know soon :)
thanks for everyone who posted...ill let you know when the pictures come back. should be today.

Have fun with the camera. I used a manual Nikon for years and when my eldest wanted to take a course I got her a second hand beat up K1000 for 40 dollars including a 1.8 50mm. She's had great experiences with it. The camera will serve you well.

ok, i got my photos back. they turned out ok. they were a bit dark but i think its because the room i was in was not the best lit and i didnt even think to us my external flash. but either way, i think it will be all good. thanks everyone for your advice and i will have tons of fun with it :)
-dave

Most reactions

New Topics

Back