Film SLR suggestions...

skid2964

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am shopping for a DSLR but now have also have a desire to buy a film SLR to enjoy.

I see so many for sale on eBay and elsewhere. Some well used ones for less than $50 but are good brand names, some almost new for a little over $100. I just want something to enjoy as a hobby but not too serious.

Suggestions?

There are a boatload of good cheap 35mm slrs out there.

It really depends on what your looking for? do you want to share lens between your Dslr and your 35mm slr?

do you want full manual or a newer auto slr?

lots of people will suggest a pentax k1000, a canon AE-1, nikon F series, as long as you stay with a well known brand there are not many bad choices.

my first ever film camera was and still is a Petri FT EE, its not all that reliable but its fun. I then wanted something that shared lens with my Dslr and traded a Sigma lens for a canon Elan 7e.

Just find something in your price range, that fits your needs and isnt beat to hell and you should be fine.

Minolta sr-T101 and Minolta Rokkor MD/MC mount lenses. With the camera you can go 100% mechanical as with other older cameras. This one's about 40 years old and mine is still an ox. And everybody and their grandmother made lenses for these cameras for about 25 years so they are in vast supply.

Been on eBay today. I missed a fine Pentax K1000, but "accidently" won a SX-7 body for $19, then picked up a 35-80mm AF lens for it for $15.

I still want a K1000! I have fallen for them just looking at them on eBay, I will like being restricted to all manual.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Nikon FM2N or F3HP for outstanding quality of build-very little plastic in evidence-and wonderful Nikkor lenses. Be aware, though, that the plastic/rubber used in the light seals on these older cameras frequently degrades with time and may need replacing; hence I would avoid an ebay purchase of what might otherwise look like an immaculate camera and buy from a good dealer who will, hopefully, offer a guarantee of some kind.

Before you decide on a film SLR, I suggest you decide on the DSLR first. You want both cameras to share compatible lenses. Even better, similar control layout to avoid a mental switch every time you switch camera bodies.

Before you decide on a film SLR, I suggest you decide on the DSLR first. You want both cameras to share compatible lenses. Even better, similar control layout to avoid a mental switch every time you switch camera bodies.
True dat! And since Nikon is phasing out compatibility unless you opt for the most expensive brands, that leaves only the Pentax.

I've decided on the Pentax K200D for a DSLR, that's why I got the ZX-7 and I am now looking for a K1000.

Someone mentioned light seals, are these difficult/expensive to replace?

I've decided on the Pentax K200D for a DSLR, that's why I got the SX7 and I am now looking for a K1000.

Any competent camera repair shop can do it. I had the ones done on my FG about 10 years ago. I think I paid around US$45-50 with a thorough cleaning & lubrication included. Probably about $60-70 in today's dollars.

The K-1000 is a fine camera but many people are unaware that there were
several other SLRs in the Pentax K-series, all having more features than
the K-1000, which were also generally better-built (sturdier) than the K-1000.

Since many are unaware of these other fine cameras, they can often be
had at prices lower than the K-1000 on eBay and other selling venues.

These models are the KM, K2, and KX.

There were also the K2MD and KXMD models but these are fairly rare and
demand high prices from collectors.

And, if you want a super-bargain, I'd suggest the Pentax P-series models.
These sell for peanuts on eBay, often with multi-lens outfits. They are
not quite as sturdy as the earlier K-series, but they pack a lot of features
into a compact size.

Details of the P models are here.

For the K1000, the light seals around the door and the mirror damper foam piece are easy to replace. Yes.. there are newer cameras that were incremental improvements on the K1000... all the way up to my favorite.. the LX. Honestly... since you already have the ZX-7 with its more modern features, just stick to the k1000 for those days that you want to shoot in simplicity. The K1000 will be cheaper than those previously mentioned which should allow budget for some nice glass.

Congrats on your purchases.. I think you made a wonderful decision. Remember you have more than 2 decades worth of wonderful glass to choose from. You can also go even farther back and mount screwmount lenses with an adapter although I recommend sticking with the Kmount for simplicity (I collect screwmounts). Most manual focus Takumars (Pentax) are pretty decent as well as the recent additions to their AF line. Some fav's of mine:

Pentax 50mm f1.4 (of course)
Pentax 80mm f/2
Tamron 90mm f/3.5 macro (adaptall)
Pentax 40mm f/2.8 pancake

If for any reason you want some "really" nice glass.. look towards Zeiss and their ZK mount line (same as theKmount).

Most reactions

Back