Film SLR

e999sam

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
How many of you still have a film SLR and what do you use it for?

I have two - a Mamiya 645E and an Olympus OM2. What do I use them for? Why, photography, of course.

I have quite a few as that is pretty much all I shoot.

Nikon FA (2)
Nikon F3 (1)
Hasselblad 500 CM (2)
Calumet 4x5 (1)

I normally shoot the blad with black and white and digital can't compare yet. I do have digital but it never gets used.

I have a couple of complete minolta systems with winders and a full set of lenses. I had sold all my pentax a few years ago and bought these all at the same time on ebay. These sit in my camera case just to have in case I want to shoot a wedding.

I have a lot of old rangefinders in larger format. 6x7 ect. Thats what I shoot on a daily basis.

My only digital camera is a pns I use for ebay now and then... Oh yeah I shot my avitar with it.

Big, metal, heavy film SLR's is all I use. I use them to take pictures, pretty much like they have for the past 50+ years. They are also good for occaisionally pounding in tent stakes. I have a digital for auction site stuff only.

When I die, I want to be burried with my Nikon F2's and all the lenses. I have loved that system for 30 years. My Pentax 67 can go to someone else. Until then I still enjoy using both. Digital has just become cheaper and quicker to use so it is my main system.

I sold my two Canon EOS bodies to help fund my switch to digital, but I still have a Mamiya 1000 DTL and a Nikon EM sitting around here along with a smattering of other medium format and 35mm cameras. I do get the urge to pull them out, but scanning is too much of a hassle for me these days. They mostly just sit there and look cool, or I loan them out.

When I die, I want to be burried with my Nikon F2's and all the lenses. I have loved that system for 30 years. My Pentax 67 can go to someone else. Until then I still enjoy using both. Digital has just become cheaper and quicker to use so it is my main system.

The Nikon F2 is one of the great mechanical marvels in the history of the photographic industry. It ranks with the Leicas, Linhofs and Alpas for pure wonder in terms of quality and fit and finish. I've owned several of them over the years. Truly amazing product. I really regret having sold my F2AI with the upgraded metering prism. I miss that one a lot.

I use use my manual cameras when i have time to enjoy photography - primarily when i am doing portraiture with/for friends/family/ etc.

I use my (konica)-Minolta 7D otherwise (though am enjoying it more and more).

My manual cameras are Minolta srt102's and 202's. I have several, though 1 of each model is always loaded with color film and the other with b&w film. Those 2 are my "working" bodies and i have 5 back-ups to them and a decent collection of glass - though nothing too exotic 135mm F2 for example - OHHHH how i wish i could afford that lens... I am very thankful for them all and they are very nice to use.

Well, that's maybe more than originally asked for, but YOU asked!!

ft

I have 4:

Pentax Spotmatics (2)
Bronica SQ (1)
Canon EOS 50E (1)

I use them for everything I shoot. If I feel I can get a great picture from the subject in front of me I use the Bronica. Otherwise I have a Spotmatic around my neck for the rest of my pictures (snapshots...). The Canon (+24-85mm zoom) replaces the Spotmatic (and 4-5 prime lenses) when I want to travel light(er).

I have two - a Mamiya 645E and an Olympus OM2. What do I use them for? Why, photography, of course.
:lol: I thought someone would come up with that answer.

I still have a Minolta 5D. It goes everywhere with me in my bag but I rarely use it. My wife keeps getting on at me to sell it so I am trying to come up with a good reason to keep it.

:lol: I thought someone would come up with that answer.

I still have a Minolta 5D. It goes everywhere with me in my bag but I rarely use it. My wife keeps getting on at me to sell it so I am trying to come up with a good reason to keep it.

now here is a good way to keep it..(not a reason to keep it though)....just dont bring it along with you so often that you wife dont see it and wont make any comment on it....

Er... isn't the Minolta 5D digital? Minus the D would be a Dynax or Maxxum 5. I have one too and also carry it around most of the time, since it weighs virtually nothing. Also just picked up a Dynax 7 for a pretty good price. More dials and functions than you can eat.

Plus a couple of manual focus Pentaxes, I tend to take one along with the dSLR for a combined digital/film kit. And a Fujica for M42 lenses. Other than that the SLR collection is fairly thin at the moment, had some others at various points which I either sold or gave away, which of course I regret now.

Surprisingly I use mine for photography too :lol: some people don't believe it's possible. But you can usually avoid standing out with an SLR. Try walking around with a 50-year-old TLR or zone focus camera though and you get some funny looks. My view is, if they still work then use them.

Zaphod makes a great point with Street photography and slr's. When i'm out with my "old" slr's and a normal or wide lens people look at me, watch me, and sometimes follow me and try to see what i'm doing.

I think it helps people realize i am doing some art-sy kinda thing as opposed to some perv with a gee-wiz camera (read dSLR) and a big lens taking (their?) pictures.

Most reactions

Back