film speed

twgreen3

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I recently bought a Nikon n55 and read in the specs that it will detect film speeds from 25 to 5000. The fastest I have been able to find is 1600, though I have not yet used it. What I am trying to do is use a fast shutter speed for a hockey game. The ice rink is not lit very well and the maximum shutter speed for the attached speedlight is 1/90. So how can I increase the shutter speed while still having the proper exposure? Thank you for any help.

You could try push processing, although once out at ISO 1600 graininess will become an issue for enlargements (I can't tell you the exact size you could expect reasonable quality, though). If you don't know what push processing is, it is taking a given speed film, let's say ISO 400, but setting your ISO control on your camera to ISO 800 so the film is technically underexposed, but when you take the negatives to be developed, you leave special instructions to push the film to EI 800. Actually, in this month's PhotoGraphic magazine www.photographic.com they reviewed Kodak's new Portra 800 and because of it's new finer grain, you should be able to push this with very acceptable results.

Another way to solve this problem is to save a lot of money and get a lens with a nice wide aperture f/2.8 or larger. This will make it possible to use slower, finer grained films and still use faster shutter speeds.

Hope this helps.

mostlikely the flash will not be powerful enough to
illuminate a hockey game from a distance.

You will need to shoot with available light - stadiums
are usually well illuminated, so you can use ISO 400
(or faster) film to achieve faster shutter speeds without
flash. For dim light situations I would suggest to push
the film to faster speeds - ISO 1600+

just as a warning though there are alot of labs that cant or wont push/pull film just make sure and ask before you shoot

I just looked on nikons web site and only there top models offer manual film speed adjustment (nikon n80 and higher) kinda weird. I am also shooting in color. Although I may experiment with B&W.

the 'triad'

- film speed
- aperture value
- shutter speed

- what lens do you own that has the lowest number (widest open) aperture?
- if it's a zoom, give me both numbers (focal length) with corresponding aperture values.
- what film speed have you been shooting in the past?

i played ice hockey from the age of 5 until i was 21; everyone that i knew shot 400 speed with no problem. it's quite, QUITE bright in a hockey rink. that's why i question your aperture settings.

let us know.

The lowest # aperture is 3.3. The zoom is 28-80 and I have been using 400 speed film. What I am looking to do is freeze a play without any blur. For example, in the pictures I have been taking the hockey stick is always blurry when the player is shooting. I was under the impression that only a fast shutter speed will fix this. I am also having the same problem with other sports, the worst being football.

Are you sure you can't select a different film speed with the camera? That seems odd to me. Not all film is coded, so you should be able to select the speed and I would have thought you'd be able to do that even with coded film. Does it not have custom settings or something? The option might be hidden away.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back