Film Storage - Desiccants?

FlyTags

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I store a bunch of unused 35mm & 120 film in my refrigerator and freezer, grouped into gallon-sized Ziploc bags and sealed. I realize that condensation isn't a good thing for film and I'm thinking about tossing a packet of silica gel into each one of my film bags to keep the moisture low (no humidity = no condensation).

For those of you who are more familiar with long-term film storage: Is there any reason I shouldn't do this? In other words, does dry air have any negative effects on film?

Thanks!

If it's 'too dry', it might be bad. I don't know how dry too dry is though...

How long term are we talking about?

I personally just put unexposed film in a cardboard box in the freezer and haven't had any issues yet. The longest I've kept film stored like that before using it was maybe a year.

Last edited:
When freezing, just be sure you let the film sit out for a few hours to avoid consdenation.

I used zip lock bags for years,

How long term are we talking about?

In my refrigerator, likely less than a year. In my freezer... Well, I'm not entirely sure. I started shooting film again about six months ago and haven't owned any of my film for longer than that. I'd like to think that it wouldn't sit in my freezer for much more than a year or two, but I seem to have developed a habit of buying film faster than I can shoot it. Heh. ;-)

When freezing, just be sure you let the film sit out for a few hours to avoid consdenation.

Yep, good advice. I usually move my frozen film to the refrigerator for at least a few days. Then, I remove it from the refrigerator anywhere from a couple hours to several days before I use it.

It's entirely possible I'm just being overly conscious about the whole condensation thing. I could probably just toss my film in the ziploc bags and not worry about it, but at the same time, I'd hate to be kicking myself down the road because the film is ruined and I could have prevented it.

Google kodak film storage

Store it in the original sealed containers and there should not be any problem. In a freezer the atmosphere should be dry enough because nearly all the water vapour will have frozen. The problem comes when taking the film out of a cold environment; make sue that you do not open the container or sealed packaging before the contents have reached ambient temperature, this should not take more than a few hours at most. If I needed to use film quickly I used to keep it in a trouser pocket for one hour before opening it and never had any problem with condensation.

I think I'm ultimately going to follow Chris' suggestion. I'll probably keep using Ziploc bags for storage, but otherwise not worry too much about it. Just toss the rolls in the refrigerator/freezer and make sure they have time to acclimate once I pull them out for use.

Thanks to everyone who offered up their insight. It was very helpful!

Proper protection from moisture is important. To that end,using a desiccant is one of the most efficient ways to protect yourmedications. No matter how effective a container may be, there is always apossibility that a minute amount of moisture may seep in. The use of desiccantsis a smart preventive measure for added protection.

The most commonly used desiccants include:

•silica gel desiccants
•molecular sieve desiccants
•montmorillonite clay desiccants

In working with militarypackaging, I know that proper protection from moisture is important. Tothat end, combining moisture barrier bags with a desiccant is one of the mostefficient ways to protect your goods. No matter how effective a moisturebarrier bag may be, there is always a possibility that a minute amount ofmoisture may seep in. The use of desiccants is a smart preventive measure foradded protection.

I've never used desiccants before....this is definitely a good idea though. I've never had any trouble without it though. Wouldn't the "felt" on the film canister's opening help to keep out moisture?

Most reactions

Back