film storage

Films should be processed as soon as possible after they have been exposed - especially colour films.
The latent image recorded on the film fades over time (latent image regression). With colour films the image in the three layers will fade at different rates and affect colour balance. The regression is most marked 1-4 hours after exposure but heat and humidity will make things much worse.
If exposed film is not going to be processed within a reasonably short time then they should be kept in the freezer (-18C or below) especially if the weather is hot.
Allow films to warm to room temperature for 4-6 hours before processing.
If conditions are very humid then films should be dried using a dessicant before freezing (dry a couple of silica gel sachets using a hair dryer or radiator and seal them in a plastic bag with the film).
Amateur films are more stable but when exposed should still be kept in the fridge or freezer especially if it is hot and they are not going to be processed for a while.
Before or after exposure the rule is: keep films cool and dry and process as soon as possible.

what about proffessional film? i've heard that you should have those developed like right after you expose them. im keeping mine in the fridge right now, before i expose them. is that okay?

thebeginning said:
what about proffessional film? i've heard that you should have those developed like right after you expose them. im keeping mine in the fridge right now, before i expose them. is that okay?
See my posting right above yours - I was talking about professional film ;)

Ya know.... there always was a poop sheet in every roll of film with the manufacturer's recomendations. Are those gone too?

In any event, you can download this info from the company's website. Everything you'll ever want to know and more is included.

I hope this helps.

-Pete

Look at the Freezer or Fridge thread.

I always store my film, and photopaper in the fridge. Again always allow it to reach room temp before exposure. I have never left the film in fridge of freezer for long term storage AFTER exposure, but I hear many do.

Most reactions

Back