Film Theme of the Month 2018

JonA_CT

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Good day, fellow photographers!

In my 52 week project idea thread (365 Project? No way. But...) @Fred von den Berg suggested that we start a monthly theme for a roll of film, with the idea that we could share our results here.

I'm a sporadic film shooter, and I'd love some focus to make myself use film more often.

Anyone else interested? Anyone have any theme ideas?

I was thinking maybe something like "Shapes" for January.

Sounds interesting. However shooting film and digital differs in timing. In digital you can stop and present a picture at any given time. With film you have to finish the whole roll before anything else. How this will fit monthly time frame with most participants...

Sounds interesting. However shooting film and digital differs in timing. In digital you can stop and present a picture at any given time. With film you have to finish the whole roll before anything else. How this will fit monthly time frame with most participants...

Interesting and reasonable concern. I would probably wouldn't use film were it not for a challenge like this...it's mostly a summer thing for me when I have extra time and I am traveling. I'm sure there are others like me, but at the same time, I'm sure there are people like you who use film everyday and this might be more challenging for them.

Shapes sounds good to start off with.

Another way to work this would be for those interested to choose their own themes and upload their photos accordingly.

Regarding the concern about film being different from digital and whether or not most people could get through a roll a month: bracketing shots for such a project would probably be wise, and so aiming for up to a dozen photos to present is quite a realistic goal.

Shapes sounds good to start off with.

Another way to work this would be for those interested to choose their own themes and upload their photos accordingly.

Regarding the concern about film being different from digital and whether or not most people could get through a roll a month: bracketing shots for such a project would probably be wise, and so aiming for up to a dozen photos to present is quite a realistic goal.
I agree with that. But that is just me.

In theory I like this idea, but in practice there's a pretty high chance I'm going to forget the theme at some point and just start shooting whatever on that roll. But I can probably come up with a few shots to share, if not a whole roll.

Another concern I have personally, at least for January, is that it is outrageously cold here at the moment (-40 C), and I'm not sure I want to bring any gear outside, let alone stand still long enough to compose and shoot. If the weather lightens up a little I'll give it a go.

I'm in.

Even given the time difference in turn-around between film and digital, I have no doubt the film shooters here could get through a roll, develop and edit whatever shots they want to post.

As for cold temps, it may be time to try some indoor still life shots :allteeth:

As for cold temps, it may be time to try some indoor still life shots :allteeth:
Like for the Sm4Him November/December Challenge? Hmmm?

I shoot people (wow that can be taken out of context) so "shape" can be very interesting depending on how I shoot it. hahahaha

I'm in for January!

No problem for me other than just settle on some subject so I can get er done.

I shoot people (wow that can be taken out of context) so "shape" can be very interesting depending on how I shoot it. hahahaha

Oh, have I got some ideas for future prompts now! :angel:

Other prompt idea -- it might be cool to have everyone shoot the same kind of film one month. Since by its very nature, all of our gear is "vintage" at this point, I think it'd be cool to see how different types of cameras and lens render the same film. I'm sure someone has some good ideas for what might be a good choice. Maybe some Ektachrome once it becomes available again?

I like the idea of making up your own theme as we are in different areas thus the options are different. But. I'll try it. I was thinking of 6x6 cm with a RolleiCord.

I like the idea of making up your own theme as we are in different areas thus the options are different. But. I'll try it. I was thinking of 6x6 cm with a RolleiCord.

I'm trying to source an affordable 6x6 TLR for this project. Let me know if you run across any, haha!

Most reactions

Back