Film tones in digital photos

Nikklaus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Alright, I'm going to do my absolute best to make my question clear, brace yourselves.

Essentially I want to make digital photos I take look better (weird eh...) - either by making them look more like they've been taken on film, or by making the tones nicer.

I'll start by posting a few photos with the sort of look I'm trying to achieve (I know these were shot with a digital camera, a Nikon D80):

n505171636_1281811_9894.jpg

n505171636_1281813_531.jpg

n505171636_1281761_5611.jpg

n505171636_1277549_2715.jpg

...I'm sure you get the idea.

I once spoke to the guy who took these photos and he told me that he used photoshop to achieve this look. Very briefly he told me how to do it, but he wasn't clear, and this was about a year ago. Though I think he may have mentioned gradient maps? Overlays? I dunno...

Anyway I guess what I want to be able to have more control over the tone in my photos. I feel really lame posting more photos but I also really like the way these look though I believe they may have been shot on film:

33.jpg

5.jpg

I use a Nikon D80, and CS4, and would say I've got a pretty reasonable understanding of both. Anyway I hope I made sense. Any help on this topic would be MAJORLY amazing.

Cheers! :thumbup:

Look at DXO's film plugins.

I managed to get hold of that guy who I spoke to a year ago and he talked me through it in depth this time, so chuffed.

His technique:

Duplicate the photo layer and change the blending mode to overlay. Set the transparency of the new layer to about 20%.

Go to image - adjustments - gradient map and select the red/green filter, obviously apply to the overlayed layer.

Do the same for as many colour sets as you see fit, today I've only used the red/green filter and the purple/green/orange filter. The same applies to all of these layers - the opacity should be around 20%, but it varies obviously according to the photo. Use as many layers as you want. It can be quite delicate. Every new gradient map layer has to be a duplicate of the original photo later.

Then he said he sometimes decreases the saturation and slightly tweaks the hue.

This is an example I made a few hours ago to show a friend of mine the results, on the left is the photo straight out of the camera, and on the right is the fiddled version.

combined.jpg

I reckon the results are ace. I'm not very good with this technique yet but I think it's really good, and I haven't seen anything else like it before.

Is your monitor properly calibrated or is your idea of making the photos "better" by turning normally pink skintones green? The tonality is good, but something in the colour looks rather unnatural.

Is your monitor properly calibrated or is your idea of making the photos "better" by turning normally pink skintones green? The tonality is good, but something in the colour looks rather unnatural.

"??Better??"

There is no such thing--it's all subjective.

I personally like the old film look, which includes a green hue in the highlights of skin tones which compliment the rest of the skin very nicely.

That really depends entirely on the film, but I was just pointing out that to me that one looks green, in case the OP's monitor has a purple cast and he things they look very neutral. But if that's the intended effect then carry on :)

That really depends entirely on the film, but I was just pointing out that to me that one looks green, in case the OP's monitor has a purple cast and he things they look very neutral. But if that's the intended effect then carry on :)

Of course, and I don't think the examples were perfect, this is more of the look that I'm particularly like:

the_spirit_you_stole_by_Pretty_As_A_Picture.jpg

The_Girl_Next_Door_by_svghnsydn.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back