Film types for bright conditions

doug1987

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm going to Kenya in a couple of weeks and its going to be very bright during the day, especially as I'm going to be spending some of the time at the top of Mt. Kenya !!

What kind of film do I need ? I'm not a pro or anything so I just need a good all round film. I've been told that a 200 will be the best comprimise for bright days but dingy evenings. I have an EOS 500, and most of the time I use it on automatic.

Thanks for any help you can give me ! Doug1987 :wink:

Either 100 or 200 speed film will do you very nicely for the bright daytime. Take along a few rolls of 400, and that should do well for you in the evening. You might also want to make sure you have a daylight filter to help cut the haze of distance there.

You don't say if you plan to shoot color or B&W, so I can't give you any film types.

The trip sounds awesome - enjoy! Hope you post some images here upon your return. :D

Terri posted some good advice. In bright daylight it is best to use the finest grain film, which is the slowest [50-100 iso] if possible, and a higher speed for those darker or dingy situations. That has always been the problem with film. You load a slow film and then need a fast one. Digital, of course fixes that problem, but has its drawbacks. Could be beneficial to get a polaroid filter, but get used to it before you go. I wouldn't go anywhere without my trust polaroid filter. Good luck. Philip

www.philipweirphotography.com

fuji reala is unbeatable in bright conditions 100 iso, used it for years alongside other "Pro" films, it beat them all hands down when its nice n bright.

None of you digi twinkers ever shoot film then.

I would also consider a polarizer and possibly a 81b warming filter to cut down on the blue cast you will get.

Thanks everyone for your help ! I'll see if I can get a few pic's up here when I come back . Doug

That would be great! Should be a beautiful place. Happy shooting!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back