Film vs Digital (kinda)

G

gtwosaints

Alright, so after waiting for a while to get a camera, the chances are up for me. My sister's HS graduation is coming up, and my parents are in need of a digi-cam. Now, I thought I could use this to my advantage. I've been wanting to begin photography for quite a while, but never had the funds. So, finally, I have the chance to get started :).

Alright, so my parents have a budget of $300-ish. And here starts my dilemma. I have two choices I can make

1: I can get my parents to buy the Canon A590 or something similar for the graduation, as it has manual controls and I can use that camera for dabbling in digital and also get them to buy a film SLR for myself to learn photography and take pictures as well. However, then comes the costs of developing :grumpy:.

2: Or, I could just buy a more advanced P&S, such as the Canon S5 or SX100IS that will fulfill their desires, but might leave me craving for more which I don't want to happen too soon :(.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do or tips?

I've seen used Digital Rebels with the 18-55 kit lens on craiglist for around $250-300, that might be something you can look into. It would be an excellent way to learn the ropes and get some basic pictures in the automatic modes for your sisters graduation.

being an owner of an S5is, I would say get the S5is. I say this not because I have the camera, but because of how I interpreted your original post. You say your parents have a budget of 300 dollars and are looking for a digital camera. How into photography are they? Would they want or better benefit from a DSLR? Remember, yes the DSLR cameras are amazing, but keep in consideration the costs of one. Lenses for the cameras are not cheap unless you luck out and find one used. I have seen lenses that cost about the same as buying another DSLR. The S5is is a very very powerful camera for what it is. Everything is controllable through the M mode and the zoom is amazing on the camera, which you can learn from while the rest of your family can benefit from the auto mode. Also, there are conversion kits for the S5 that can bring you wide-angle capabilities and 2x more telephoto zoom access for much much less than it would cost you for those exact lenses on a DSLR. I would sit and talk with your parents and find out exactly what they want and go to the local CS together and test and try out some advanced P&S and DSLR rigs and make a decision that way. If you do decide that photography is not quite your niche, at least you still have a camera capable of amazing pictures. Just my honest opinion.

If you can stretch your budget a bit, refurbished Nikon D40 kits with the 18-55 kit lens and a 90 day Nikon factory warranty have been going for $399 when you can find them. I see some of these on eBay right now through Barclay's Photo but they don't look legit. If you see one pop up on Adorama or B&H (click the links at the upper right of the forum) I'd pounce on them. Both of those places are very well known and reputable.

As much as I would like to tell you to get a film slr, as I have learned in the last month, developing and film costs are not cheap at all.

If you go to the film q&a section you can see a few threads I started on the subject.

If you had a job and could get the developing and printing done on your own go for it. Its quite fun and it almost forces you to actually get prints where as with digital I rarely ever print anything, but I have around 100gb+ or RAW files stored on external HDs.

You could get a Canon XT for cheap as Jebus did, or if you dont mind an older used camera, I got my 10D with 2 mediocre but capable lens for around $350 a year ago. But its highly doubtful your parents unless they are as into it as you are would like toting this beast around to take snap shots.

nevernevernevernevernevernevernevernever ... buy a "used" digital camera.

Your best bet is the Canon S5is. As I've said several times before on this forum - everything about it (except sensor size) is superior to any Rebel kit: Body construction and materials, lens quality and range, manual and automatic features ... you name it.

I'm sorry to keep trouncing on the feelings of the happy and proud owners of XTi's, XT's and Xsi's, as well as the D40, D60 lovers. But a high quality "Super" P&S like the S5is is a better choice.

nevernevernevernevernevernevernevernever ... buy a "used" digital camera.

why do you say that?

If you do your research and buy from a trusted site or individual and use paypal, the only thing your out if it goes wrong is time.

I buy everything used, video games, computers, cameras, lens, Radio Control cars and helicopters, Etc. Yeah Ive had some problems, but using paypal Ive always been able to resolve disputes, it just takes time.

Sandspur.

Better choice as an all around camera or better camera? You can clearly look at actual specifications and camera capabilities and clearly you could do more with a rebel especially 40d, D40.

Better choice as an all around camera or better camera? You can clearly look at actual specifications and camera capabilities and clearly you could do more with a rebel especially 40d, D40.

Both actually. And concerning your final point "especially 40D, D40" ... A Canon 40D is NOT a Rebel. It is by definition a higher quality camera in construction, materials, performance AND price. And if the D40 you referred to is the Nikon D40, then yeah, it's in the same league as the Rebels.

I'd be curious to know exactly what you can do more of with a Rebel and it's kit lens than you can do with a S5is. Reading about specifications and capabilities is all well and good. But feature for feature, quality of image vs. quality of image ... and durability/life expectancy ... I stand by my original statement.

NOTE TO RANDERSON07: Truly a matter of opinion, of course. I'm glad you've had good luck with used stuff ... and that you have the time to spend shopping for and dealing with it.

But I've been a professional photographer for quite a few years. I simply cannot afford that kind of risks when my income is dependent on having tools that work!

Thanks for the help guys! I'll tell you guys what happens when the time is here.

I'm sorry to keep trouncing on the feelings of the happy and proud owners of XTi's, XT's and Xsi's, as well as the D40, D60 lovers. But a high quality "Super" P&S like the S5is is a better choice.
Baloney. :confused:

But I've been a professional photographer for quite a few years. I simply cannot afford that kind of risks when my income is dependent on having tools that work!
This is the beginner's forum, not the pro forum. There's shouldn't be any reason at all to buy used bodies or lenses at all as long as they're from TRUSTED sellers with good reputations that aren't going to pass off garbage to you. Even if you're a pro, just test the used gear out first before you take it out to paying gigs.

Most reactions

Back