Film vs. Digital.

bitterillusions

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
decayinglullabies.org
I'm super new to photography, about three months new. I was wondering (in my uninformed newness) which is better, Film or Digital. I personally have a Nicon Coolpix 4300- which works alright for me- but I want to know if, since I think I'm going to get pretty into photography, should I stick w/ the dig, or work w/ film?

it's all preference really

personally, i use digital becuase i don't have to pay to get film developed, which i would just hate, plus i can take as many pics as I want and see them instantly... alter them in photoshop and such... it's just MUCH MUCH easier in my opinion to use digital.

i like film because its less money, upfront, if you not sure if your gonna get into it alot. also with not being able to see the image upfront as with digital, it makes me try harder to do as good as i can the first try. ITs all up to preference.

Stop looking at it as VS...

There's film... and there's digital...

Get yourself an SLR, DSLR and a bunch of interchangeable lenses.

DocFrankenstein said:
Stop looking at it as VS...

There's film... and there's digital...

Get yourself an SLR, DSLR and a bunch of interchangeable lenses.

I think most of us wish it was that way... Money is a major factor... :wink:

How about.... pick whichever one is the prettiest :D

Jokes aside, they both have their places, if your into digital manipulation, go with digital. If your into standing in the dark, and loading film (like me) then go for film.

here is my 2 cents, and i do have a bias, but to me i think that film will make you a better photographer. i started with film and just now getting into digital. i think they both have thier moments to use them, but with film you have to be right the first time and in turn you learn to take better pictures. in my photo class we are not allowed to crop our negatives, i think this is a great way to become better even with digital you can do this and i think it is a great idea, ok so i am going off track... i like film better.

Alright, thank you all for your commenting. For now I'm going to stick w/ digital (because of money... or lack there of...) But I think I will go into film once I get the money, and learn a bit more. Digital is a good place to start I think... until I figure out what makes a good photo, and what doesn't.

The question 'digital or film' is the same as asking 'should I use pen or pencil?' You can use one or the other or both together. It's up to you. They are both just tools to use to achieve an end. And we all know that it's not your tool but how you use it that's important :eyebrows:

Both has its place. A seasoned photographer works with both.

For learning purpose, I preferred digital because of the instant feedback. This reminds me of Big Mike's beautiful analogy. When you learn to play guitar, would like to hear the chords the moment you strummed or half hour later or a day or maybe a week later?
Then again, that feature (instant feedback) does not make one a great photographer in two weeks. Inherent Talent, tons of practice, a unique "eye", and an open mind are vital elements in this.

If you have access to both film and digital format, try them out and see which one is better for your learning needs.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back