film?

francis16

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
What films would you recommend for color and black and white photography? Thanks!

All of them.

Really thats far to general a question, and film choice is highly a personal taste thing. One of the great things about shooting film is all the choices, its also hard on someone just coming to film. I suggest you go to Flickr.com and search for Film Brands, Film names, Film groups, whatever pops in your head. While scans onto a computer can and will be different from person to person, computer to computer you will get a general idea of what a particular film will look like.

Your choices of films will also depend on what you want to shoot. Also, for colour, do you want negatives or slides?

is the kodak tmax 400 and the ilford pan f plus compatible with an slr? or are they medium format films?

for general use i use kodak or fuji iso400, and if i'm going to use a lense with more zoom or in darker settings i do use fuji 800, my camera bag has kodak iso 200, kodak/fuji iso400, fuji iso800, and kodak tmax iso400, you will probably end up lugging around a couple diffent ranges, but for now i'd probably go out and buy a few if you can, and use them and you'll eventualy find something you like, but for the most part iso400 is probably best to just jump in with film.

MY favorite color film is Fuji Superia 200 and 400 (400 if im not shooting outdoors to much)

I dont really do much black and white with film....mostly because I cant buyoffline without my parents permission....I have used Kodak Tmax 400, but since I only used it once and have no comparision, I ant really recomend it, however it is black and white and the pictures I take come out on it....so yes...itll work.

A few people recommended Ilford Pan F. I really like that film but I find it less tolerant to less than perfect exposure compared to other films such as Ilford FP4 and HP5 or Kodak Tri-X. Just my experience, your mileage may vary. Also, Pan F has an ISO rating of 50; this is quite slow, which does not make it a very versatile film. If you always shoot with a tripod, you should be OK though.

For colour negative film, I really like Fuji Reala. This is quite a versatile film. It will work for almost everything (from landscapes to portraits). Also, if you are after (very) saturated colours, have a look at the fairly new Kodak Ektar. I have yet to try it but some people seem to get good results. Both have an ISO rating of 100.

Most reactions

Back