Film

sadhu

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
howdy everyone.

I've just come across this forum and you all seem like a nice crowd. I've just invested in an old slr -- Nikon FG from 1982 (?). Photography is quite new to me but i've picked up a few small things from friends who have taken photography courses.

I was told when i bought it it would be in perfect condition so i experimented with my first roll.. i think it didn't latch on properly, so i suppose that the pictures might come out overlapped.

Anyway, I tried out a second roll and I was trying to get it to latch on, I started winding it. I forgot that i had to do it counter-clockwise with the little knob, so the strip went back into the roll.

Is it a useless roll of film now? I tried winding it so it would come out, but that didn't work, hahaha.

Last year I bought a little device to retrieve film from cannister, however, it was utterly useless, I am not sure how you would look up 35mm film canister retriever on the google, but you may want to give it go. It consists of three plastic tongues that slide into the opening. I actually threw mine away as it was useless on 2 films I tried.

If you really want to save the unexposed film, you can try to crack open the and slide it through again and replace the lid as best you could (in a darkroom/change bag of course). But this would probably only useful for experimental/educational purposes. I wouldn't recommend doing that and placing it your favourite camera again (the reattached lid may come off).

Because I use rondinax to develop my negatives, its always easier for me to leave out a bit of 35mm, so I try not rewind my film all the way. I always put a crease in the tongue of film to help from rewinding back in. If you have to use a bit of feeling when rewinding it back even with crease, but if you are careful, you'll always feel it when rewinding. Also if you crease too much the film may break at the crease.

Good luck mate.

thanks to the both of you.

I googled canister retriever and someone had posted the idea of having a narrow piece of index card with double-stick tape. It worked.

cheers

Most reactions

Back