Filming with the canon 60d problem

jtiggatrost

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Use the canon 60d with a 24-105f4 L lens. For some reason whenever I film the videos come out very noisy and sort of nasty to look at. I have the ISO to the lowest it can go and I don't know what else to do. Check out some footage I filmed and edited yesterday for school. Tips on this problem would be awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:
I watched a small part, I could not stomach continuing to watch some kids over acting while lip syncing.

You are showing up a compressed video on YouTube so I would expect to see some noise from the compression. However the biggest thing that is probably causing your issue is the video is vary poorly lit, in fact I'm betting that no lighting was done at all.

Light Guru is right - your challenge is lack of light, especially indoors. I would add that the 24-105mm f4L is a fabulous lens, but it isn't the best choice for low light.

A faster lens will help - a lot - and will be less expensive than buying supplemental lighting. An inexpensive option might be a $108 50mm f1.8, $199 40mm f2.8 or $280 35mm f2.

Good luck!

Bill
Bill

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I do not have the money for lights. And I am so sorry that your stomach can not hold up the fact that kids are having fun.

Im no profession by any means but we all have to start somewhere.

It's not a matter of buying lights but using what you have available. Try to shoot in a lighter room with more windows or even grab some lamps from around the house and bring them to where you wish to shoot.. Just don't mix and match your lights, try to keep them all the same tungsten, florescent and natural sunlight etc you want to keep it consistent.

If you can come up with a few bucks try to find a cheap desk lamp or too with the adjustable arms. garage sales would be a good place to start. Desk lamps are pretty easy to position on the floor, on a book shelf etc.

Pay attention to whatever program you are using to render your video and make sure the compression setting are set properly and you are using a good codec i personally use H264/MPEG-4.

All your video seems to be done from a tripod so is doees not seem to be an issue. As stated up above the 50mm 1.8 is a great low light lens and you can probably find it used for $60-$80 on Craigslist or kijiji so keep that in mind for Christmas or birthday time. The only issue is shooting at 1.8 you will have a limited DOF.

There are some great people in this forum better qualified to give advice then me but i think this might help you being on a budget.
and when in doubt go watch some educational videos on youtube the resources are endless for learning.

Im no profession by any means but we all have to start somewhere. It's not a matter of buying lights but using what you have available. Try to shoot in a lighter room with more windows or even grab some lamps from around the house and bring them to where you wish to shoot.. Just don't mix and match your lights, try to keep them all the same tungsten, florescent and natural sunlight etc you want to keep it consistent. If you can come up with a few bucks try to find a cheap desk lamp or too with the adjustable arms. garage sales would be a good place to start. Desk lamps are pretty easy to position on the floor, on a book shelf etc. Pay attention to whatever program you are using to render your video and make sure the compression setting are set properly and you are using a good codec i personally use H264/MPEG-4. All your video seems to be done from a tripod so is doees not seem to be an issue. As stated up above the 50mm 1.8 is a great low light lens and you can probably find it used for $60-$80 on Craigslist or kijiji so keep that in mind for Christmas or birthday time. The only issue is shooting at 1.8 you will have a limited DOF. There are some great people in this forum better qualified to give advice then me but i think this might help you being on a budget. and when in doubt go watch some educational videos on youtube the resources are endless for learning.
thank you very much.that helps a lot. And I have a couple of desk lamps laying around in my house.

Video lighting has to be constant lighting instead of flash, and a lighting kit can be put together quite inexpensively. Be mindful of light source color temperature and the camera white balance setting. You want all the light sources in a scene to have the same color temperature.
Understanding White Balance

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back