Filter (adapter) question...need help.

Point-N-Shoot

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I like using filters on my lens, but I absolutely HATE having to screw them on and off. Do they make an adapter that would allow the threaded filters to simply slip on and off my lens for quick change?

Before you suggest Cokin or Lee, I dont want to switch to gel or rectangular glass...I have eight 67mm threaded glass filters (from Hoya and B&W), I like them and I want to keep them...so I want something (either to purchase or make from spare parts) that will attach to these filters and allow me to simply push them onto the front of my lens (so I will need something with a 70mm inner diameter on the lens side). I also want this "adapter" to attach TO THE FILTERS and NOT to my lens...I dont want to have to remove the adapter to put the stock lens cap back on.

I've searched Google, I've searched online photo shops, and I've read the threads on many other photography forums...all to no avail. What I'm looking for may not exist, but I'm willing to make it from scratch if I have to! I dont care if its rubber, metal or plastic, I dont care if its ugly, and I dont care if I need one or EIGHT (as long as the fit is snug and secure)...I just want to use my EXISTING filters without having to screw them on and off.

A friend of mine has a WB filter called an "Expodisc" that he's able to push onto the front of his lens...so there MUST be a way for me to do it with MY filters. I need something for 67mm threaded filters.

PLEASE NOTE: I don't want/need any replies about the potential negative aspects of doing this (i.e. filter may fall off...lens hood wont fit with adapter...possible vignetting from misalignment between filter and lens...etc, etc). I dont care about anything except discovering a way to slip a 67mm threaded filter onto the front of the lens as easy as placing a lens cap on. So if anyone here can help me, or can put me in touch with someone who can, please let me know?

Thanks, Dave

I don't know if they make such a product, I've never seen one, but filters only take two seconds to unscrew, why the rush?

Any decent machine shop should be able to make up adapters for you. They will thread onto the filter and press-fit onto the lens barrel. Show them an old Series V press-on holder as a guide. The slotted sleeve principle still works in today's world.

You will only have to thread them onto each filter once. They'll scar the lens barrel, but that's just cosmetic. Do check to be sure that all your lenses have lens barrels with the same OD so that the adapters will be interchangeable. If not, and if the differences are relatively small, the adapters can be machined oversize and instead of using the slotted sleeve, a flat spring/screw tensioner can be added.

I cannot estimate the cost, as shops differ depending on many factors. You indicate that convenience is paramount, so this should not be a problem. A set of 8 will keep set-up costs per unit under control.

Thanks, Torus...good info!! Where would I find a "Series V Press-on holder"...is that a Canon product?

JEazy said:
I don't know if they make such a product, I've never seen one, but filters only take two seconds to unscrew, why the rush?

It has nothing to do with time...I have nerve damage and muscle weakness in both hands from a motorcycle crash at Sears Point Raceway in 2001 (which is why 99% of my shots are done using a tripod). I have a lot of trouble lining up the threads and I'm tired of struggling...I've actualy missed shots because its taken me so long to get a filter on.

My other option was to avoid using filters altogether, but I'm trying to see if I can produce results in the field like I can with post-processing (which is tedious and mind-numbing for me)...although I did invest in Adobe CS2, the learning curve keeps me from utilizing it to its full potential.

I too would be interested in something like this. I have a hell of a time with my Circular polarizer because when I try to unscrew it all I end up doing is turning the front peice that spins anyway.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
20937481_o.jpg

YES..this is EXACTLY what I need. I wonder what the inner diameter if the filter ring is, and what I would need to adapt it to 70mm.

Do you know if that silver Voigtlander comes in a 70mm size, and if so where I could get one??

Thanhks,
Dave

These were made specifically for Leica lenses. I rather doubt that one would fit your lens. Most Leica lenses had OD's considerably smaller than 70mm.

Torus34 said:
These were made specifically for Leica lenses. I rather doubt that one would fit your lens. Most Leica lenses had OD's considerably smaller than 70mm.

Well, perhaps I could obtain one of these and have a machine shop fashion a 70mm version for my lens. I just wish I could find something ready to go so I dont have to dick with having one made.

Thanks much for the input, I really appreciate it.

Dave

Most reactions

Back