DeadEye

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.deadeyestudio.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit

I do most of my shots over water and the reflections are killing me so its time to get a good circular polarizer. I have a cheep one but not happy with it. Went to B&H photo online and found out they got like 50 plus filters in 58mm round. I have not a clue what filter is best for this purpose. Any suggestions?

Most people will say stick to a known brand name but i suppose it depends on your budget. It also depends on the equipment you have. Some will tell you that there's no point in having thousands of pounds worth of lens and camera then sticking a £10 filter in front.

Personally, i find it hard to tell if someone's used an expensive filter. My polarizers are mostly 77m Hama ones. At 77mm i could spend a small fortune on them!!

I've never had any issues with them even though they only cost me around £25 each.

I do most of my shots over water and the reflections are killing me so its time to get a good circular polarizer. I have a cheep one but not happy with it. Went to B&H photo online and found out they got like 50 plus filters in 58mm round. I have not a clue what filter is best for this purpose. Any suggestions?

Hama are manufactured in Germany and are surprisingly good for the money. On par with Hoya IMO..

The camera is Canon Xti with kit lens also a 75-300mm canon 5.6. I know I need better glass but I am at a very early stage in the learning. This last lesson was on filter use and in her pictures (ONLINE CORSE) the differance between useing a filter and not was dramatic. The circular polarizer I got was only 20 bucks and the effect wile there is not near as good as the ones it saw in class. I live on water and most of my pictures are`of boats and ships so I figured to get a good set up for this. I see at B&H photo there are so many filters in 58mm . warm and glass and a *** and on and on. I dont know how to pick a good one except by the get what you pay for method. I assume that the differant types are ment for spacific effects or conditions. Are there any best suited for reducing glare off water? :wink:

DeadEye

In what way are you not happy with it? It is hard to suggest something if we don't know what's wrong with the current one. My dad's camera has a B+W filter on it, I use the Hoyas on mine. The difference? Other than $30 dad's turns more smoothly.

Most reactions

Back