Filter as lense protection?

MarkCSmith

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Newbie to DSLR here, awaiting my D80 to be delivered to ye olde electronics shoppe. I've heard using a UV filter is a good idea to protect your lense? I got the 18-135mm lense kit and I've noticed UV filters for pretty cheap on Ebay. Good idea? Bad idea?

I searched on the forums but seemed to only be able to get a wide range of filter topics, not really specifically for this idea.

Cool, that's what I figured. And they don't alter the image much? I understand they...filter UVs lol but that won't degrade the quality of the image will it?

I have never noticed a difference with the cheapest Hoya UV filter providing light doesn't hit the filter element. But if you are photographing into the sun a cheap UV filter will utterly ruin the image's contrast and make a huge flare. Mind you I use mine simply for lens protection so if I find I need to photograph into the sun I just quickly screw it off, take the picture, and put it on again. Other than that use a lens hood and buy the filters of EBay. Not sure where you live but here the cheapest hoya filter at a photography store is the same price as some significantly better ones on ebay.

Forget the filter.....Use a lens hood.....protects against flare, rain etc and against breakage.

I use UV filters from B&W on all my lenses that I don't have lens hoods for. I would go with a lens hood as well.

This is a matter of personal preference. I have filters on all my lenses, but many shooters don't like filters. It's up to you what you believe or desire. This is opinion based like so much we debate in photography. In the end, your opinion is the only one that matters to you.

This is a matter of personal preference. I have filters on all my lenses, but many shooters don't like filters. It's up to you what you believe or desire. This is opinion based like so much we debate in photography. In the end, your opinion is the only one that matters to you.

The benefits of a hood are proven however I agree it's personal choice.

I won't argue against using a hood, but IMHO a filter is a MUST to protect your lens... then again, I come from a photojournalistic background and have put my cameras and lenses through all the various levels of hell.

I do agree with hoods, though, absolutely.

Oh, and by the way, it is LENS, not LENSE.

As a former photo journalist I have been able to remove a damaged filter and hood and continued to work ... which would not had be possible if I shot without a filter. That being said, I have yet had an occurrance where the filter saved my front element while shooting for fun/hobby/non-professionally.

So I use both. I belong to a loose net of photogs here in LA and we asked the same question(s) about UV filters. So we did a very empirical test of comparing images (same subject, same settings, same camera) with a cheap UV, an expensive UV and no UV at all. At 100% crop no differences between the three.

Lens flare is a different subject. Cheap UV = beacoup flare, Expensive UV = less flare than cheap, No UV = least lens flare. Generally speaking lens flare occurs more often with wides than teles ... some members of the group keep their wide angles un-filtered.

Gary

Curiosity about the lens hood. Do they add a great deal of bulk to the package? I have a somewhat compact Lowepro bag that I can carry on my chest with the straps attached - top loader. However, with two lenses and the body, the main compartment has room for little else. I want the lenses protected well though.

Cheers.....

Curiosity about the lens hood. Do they add a great deal of bulk to the package? I have a somewhat compact Lowepro bag that I can carry on my chest with the straps attached - top loader. However, with two lenses and the body, the main compartment has room for little else. I want the lenses protected well though.

Cheers.....

Lens hoods will vary in length in accordance with size & length of the lens. Most big hoods (for long lenses) are reversible for storage, and will fit over the lens barrel. When the hoods are reversed the lens is wider but no longer than a lens without a hood.

Gary

Most reactions

Back