Filter Brands

ormia

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com
Are different filter brands better than others, or, like with different film, is it a matter of preference. I've seen so many different brands in stores and on eBay; Hoya, Vivitar, S & W, Tiffen, and so on and so on. Is there a brand that you prefer? Is there a brand that you wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole?

It really depends. You get what you pay for. There are basically two different groups of filters. The cheap ($10-40) filters and the high quality filters that cost much more. If you have good quality lenses don't bother with the cheap filters (Tiffen, Quantaray, etc). Go for the high quality multi-coated filters like B+W or the multicoated Hoya filters. I have an inexpensive linear polarizer that I've always used with my 35mm system and it works well. But when I bought the D70 I decided to invest in a nice circular polarizer. So I bought a B+W slim polarizer ($82 new on ebay) they run for $100 or more retail depending on size.

Another option is to go with the Cokin system. Which you can use with all your lenses and formats. www.cokin.com

You get what you pay for.

Thats what i thought. So, I'm thinking the $2 polarizing filter on eBay isn't exactly a good buy :D
The cokin system look interesting, but I don't have a lot of money to spend right now. I'll probably end up getting a cheaper filter for now, and buy a better quality when I have the money.

ormia said:
You get what you pay for.

Thats what i thought. So, I'm thinking the $2 polarizing filter on eBay isn't exactly a good buy :D
The cokin system look interesting, but I don't have a lot of money to spend right now. I'll probably end up getting a cheaper filter for now, and buy a better quality when I have the money.
Perfectly understandable. I've been using a cheap polarizer for a couple years now.

GimpyPoop said:
Yo,
I got a $20 Hoya circular polarizer filter off ebay and it's utter crap! It's made by Hoya in the Philipines. Just beware all!
Me, the Flea
There is a range of quality found in Hoya filters. A $20 circular polarizer isn't a good bet no matter the brand. The ok ones run for $40-50.

Yeah, a lot of the cheap ones end up being just a neutral density filter. I really like the Cokin system, but getting started is a bit expensive (wish I could afford it). The advantage is they pretty much fit all your lenses, and I have heard a lot of pros say they don't use the mounting system, just go with gaffer tape, etc.

Most reactions

Back