filter help

sabenemmons

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am going to try to do a few (hundred) potraits of my girlfriend partly for her senior photos and partly to work on my portfolio. She is a very beautiful girl but she is very selfconsious (probable not spelled right) about her freckels. I dont know much about filters but i have heard that with the right filter (on b+w film) you can reduce the sight of freckels. any ideas would help alot. I will be posting some of her photos soon.
also any good film developing companys would be great.

With BW, if you use a filter that is the same color as the freckles they should lighten. Be aware that anything that is the opposite color of the filter will darken. A red filter would lighten reddish freckles, but also reduce lip contrast, reddish make-up, and darken anything green and cyan (sky blue).

Tell her not to worry about her freckles......look at Angie Everhart....alot of photos show her freckles......and it has not hurt her career.

ksmattfish said:
Be aware that anything that is the opposite color of the filter will darken. A red filter would lighten reddish freckles, but also reduce lip contrast, reddish make-up, and darken anything green and cyan (sky blue).
However, the good thing about black and white film is that when you use filters that way, you can also use strange colours of make-up that *will* show up well. Green make-up may look pretty ugly, but you sure won't see that in the final product! Of course, convincing your girlfriend to wear it is another matter ;).

Most reactions

Back