Filter issues

Xmetal

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
photobucket.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Need some suggestions on how to stop my filters from locking together and being impossible to unscrew. I was thinking of using some dry-lube or handy grease to lubricate the threads but thought there might be other solutions out there.

Praise in advance. :)

Hi…..I wouldn’t use anything oil based, it will attract dust. Maybe some graphite might help, from a pencil tip or a small tube at the hardware store. LOL

maybe dont screw them together so tight. also, if they get very cold, the steel ones lock-up easier than brass. see if putting them in your pocket for a minute makes a difference

Xmetal said:
Need some suggestions on how to stop my filters from locking together and being impossible to unscrew. I was thinking of using some dry-lube or handy grease to lubricate the threads but thought there might be other solutions out there.

Praise in advance. :)

It's my opinion that metal on metal with close tolerance is best left unlubricated and kept clean. My logic is that there is not enough space between screw and thread to accommodate grit, lube or just plain stuff. Therefore, my advice is to soak your filters in a warm bowl of soapy liquid, rinse, dry and repeat a few times, paying close attention to not scratching them. When they're clean, keep them in a sensible environment - I use the original quality foam/plastic holders from Nikon and hold them together with a rubber band.

Rob

There are few things more aggravating, than an unwanted filter seemingly welded to your lens. Of course, this ALWAYS happens at the most inopportune moment.

I wouldn’t recommend putting any type of lubricant on the offending threads. The risk may be remote, but there is a chance that lube could find it’s way into your lens. No gouda!

I use one of those thin rubber disks used for opening stubborn jars... It provides the added “traction” needed to remove those welded on filters.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back