Filter/Lens Hood Problem

lennon33x

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I recently purchased a Canon 50mm f/1.8 lens. Fantastic lens. However, I have been presented with a problem. I've recently taken up using filters for certain shots (i.e. ND variable filter for waterfall pictures). The lens hood for this lens (the only one that I'm aware of that fits it) screws on to the inside of the lens in front of the element. My filters are 58mm filters and the diameter on the 50mm is 52. So, I bought a step up ring for my filters. The main issue is that I want to use a lens hood with it to reduce flare (i.e. when using a CPL). This can be easily corrected with a 58 mm threaded lens hood affixed to the outside thread of the CPL filter. My bigger problem however is that the fader ND filter does not have an outer thread, therefore rendering my ability to use a lens hood kaput. I'm also worried about vignetting. Is there an attachment that could go on before the filters (as demonstrated in the following schematic): Current setup: Lens -> Step Up Ring (52->58 ) -> 58 mm filter -> threaded 58 mm lens hood Desired setup: Lens -> Lens hood (or adapter, then lens hood) -> step up ring -> 58mm ND Filter Even if I did purchase a 52 mm NDF filter, then I would still not have a way to attach a lens hood. Ideas? Thanks

Last edited:
Sonia metal lens hoods have threads on their front end so that a filter can be installed there.

So your setup could be: Lens -> Step Up Ring (52->58) -> threaded 58 mm lens hood -> 58 mm filter

This is one (of the several) deficiencies of the 50mm F1.8...it doesn't have a separate hood mount.
Before throwing any money at this problem, consider if you should rather save up for the 50mm F1.4.

But as for your current problem, just don't use the hood while using the filter that is causing the problem. How often are you using your ND filter anyway?
Also, consider that if you are using your ND filter (for longer shutter speeds) you are probably (should be) shooting while on a tripod anyway. So in that case, you shouldn't be holding / touching the camera when it fires, which leaves you hands free to act as a lens hood.
I often find that I'm using my hand (or a hat or something) to act as an extended lens hood.
And really, you should be able to tell when blocking extra light (with a hood or not) will make a difference or not.

Im using the ES-62 lens hood wich is a 52mm fitting that screw onto.the lens wich adds the regular quick connect feature for the hood but i doupt it will work wich a step up ring over that

So, after looking at my NDF closer, there is an outside thread on it. It's a 62mm diameter. The question I have is should I put the hood on the filter or the filter on the hood (to decrease vignetting)? Thanks

If you you can, put the hood on the filter instead of the filter on the hood, but I agree with Mike, use your hand.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back