Filter Newbie

PixyPainter

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello I was curious if anyone was familiar with Cokin filter. I wondered if anyone might have advice about A series verses P series. I have a digital SLR and I wanted to get some filters to play with and the Cokin filters seem to interest me.

Any input would be helpful!

Thanks

depends on the size of your lens, or the lens you are planning on getting.
if your largest lens has a 60mm or smaller threads, the A seriers is fine. IF you have or are going to get lenses with larger then 60mm thread sizes you will need the p seriers. Also, if you do lots of wide angle, the larger P series will be better

Except for Neutral Density or polarizing, filters are unneeded for DSLRs. Use post-processing to add filter effects.

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]System A is f[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]or lenses between 36 and 62 mm in diameter.
System P is for lenses between 48 and 82 mm in diameter.
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]System X is for lenses between 62 and 112 mm in diameter.

The series A filters are cheaper and easier to find. These can be purchased on eBay relitively cheap.
[/FONT]

Except for Neutral Density or polarizing, filters are unneeded for DSLRs. Use post-processing to add filter effects.
Just want to add that when it comes to filters, you get what you pay for. There is a wide range of quality out there.

I use a UV filter on my lenses, mainly cos it doesnt alter the picture too much, but it protects the lense of my camera.

Im clumsy at the best of times, but i also take pictures in locations where theres a high chance my lense might get damaged.

Id rather pay £40 for a new filter than £200+ for a new lense when i inevitably break it.

Dunno if many other people use this tactic but it works for me :)

I use a UV filter on my lenses, mainly cos it doesnt alter the picture too much, but it protects the lense of my camera.

Im clumsy at the best of times, but i also take pictures in locations where theres a high chance my lense might get damaged.

Id rather pay £40 for a new filter than £200+ for a new lense when i inevitably break it.

Dunno if many other people use this tactic but it works for me :)

I agree that a filter is cheaper than a new lens but I use my lens hood. Although I still have a slight risk this way and even greater with a petal type hood.

at gigs lens hoods are ok,

But i photograph paintball quite regularly, and a lens hood aids the balls to hit the lens.

which means i usually use a filter to protect it.

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]System A is f[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]or lenses between 36 and 62 mm in diameter.
System P is for lenses between 48 and 82 mm in diameter.
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]System X is for lenses between 62 and 112 mm in diameter.

The series A filters are cheaper and easier to find. These can be purchased on eBay relitively cheap.
[/FONT]

Don't forget the Z Pro series. Holds 100mm filters. For lenses up to 96mm.
http://www.cokin.com/ico15/ico15-haut.html?=#z

Most reactions

Back