Filter order placement

TreeofLifeStairs

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
treeoflifestairs.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've got a circular polarizing, and neutral density filter on order and have a uv filter already. If, hypothetically, I was to use all three simultaneously, what order would I put them in? Does it matter?

Don't
each of them costs some in image quality
the CPL and nod have a useful function, the uv filter is protection at most

I would say Neutral Density first, then the polarizer on the front, so you can spin it easily. I'd put the UV filter on last, right after you get home and stow the gear; remove the polar and case it, remove and case the ND, then put the UV filter on and stow the lens.

My thought was in taking a shot of a beach or waterfall, to use the ND filter to extend the length of the exposure to smooth out the water. Then I was told that the circ pol will make colors more vibrant (though, I'm not sure about this since it's purpose I thought was really to reduce reflections.) Then my thinking was that since both scenarios involved being out doors the uv would be warranted.

I would say Neutral Density first, then the polarizer on the front, so you can spin it easily. I'd put the UV filter on last, right after you get home and stow the gear; remove the polar and case it, remove and case the ND, then put the UV filter on and stow the lens.

This. Exactly. The UV is only useful for protecting the lens, and when it's not doing that, it does a great job at adding flare and sometimes Chromatic Abberation.

Jake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ND first, CPL only if needed...UV in the junk drawer at home.

The front glass element on most DLSR lenses is a lot more robust than many people think it is.
DSLR image sensors have a UV (and other) filter in front of them.

UV filters used for 'protection' generally cause more problems than they solve.
Inexpensive UV filters degrade image quality.
Any filter added to the front of the lens adds an air gap that promotes lens flare, though high quality filters usually have coatings that minimize the added lens flare.

UV filters are thin glass that is fairly easy to break.
Often the sharp shards of broken UV glass are forced back into the front lens element damaging what they were intended to 'protect'.

Use a UV filter for protection when there is a need for it, like shooting from track side at a motocross or other type of dirt track race.

Note too that the CPF will darken exp a couple of stops itself. Might be enough without the "stacking". All depends on angle to the sun. The NDF would be the one to use if your not around 90 degrees to the sun for the best from the CPF.

The UV might be useful if you decide to shoot color film, but I've heard that newer color film blocks UV, so the filter is probably pretty much obsolete.

My thought was in taking a shot of a beach or waterfall, to use the ND filter to extend the length of the exposure to smooth out the water. Then I was told that the circ pol will make colors more vibrant (though, I'm not sure about this since it's purpose I thought was really to reduce reflections.) Then my thinking was that since both scenarios involved being out doors the uv would be warranted.

You are correct: the CPL filter will reduce reflections, and in that way, produce richer color. On many subjects in the outdoor world, there is a pretty substantial amount of reflection from the sky, and the CPL can reduce that, and once that pale, light-colored, diffuse reflection is cancelled, the underlying color is visible! LEAVES and shrubbery often have huge amounts of diffuse reflection on them, and polarizing REALLY makes the colors Pop! It's not just water that has reflection on it--plant matter is very prone to it!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back