Filter Question

When I look back to my film shooting days (1974-1990), I had filters on all my lenses. Never once did I need to replace a filter because it got scratched.

So........ no more filters for me.

Can you guys recommend some for me ?
Also , another question ... How many filters can you put on a lens ?

Hoya, B+W are good.
You could put on as many as you like, but with each one, you'll lose light.
Stacking them can impinge on the field of view...depends.
Two filters should be ok.

lens cap + lens hood.

Funny? This is a beginner forum. You haven't seen tons of lens front elements scratched from amateur cleaning? I've seen lots of it.

Yes. Extremely. Especially in conjunction with the notion that lens cleaning is "dangerous". That's fall on the floor gut-bustingly funny.

This is a beginner forum. You haven't seen tons of lens front elements scratched from amateur cleaning?
No, I haven't. Not on this forum, and not in real life over the past 43 years. Maybe I've just been hanging out with the wrong crowd.

I've seen lots of it.
"Tons", no doubt. Ever seen a photo negatively affected by these "tons" of scratched front elements? Could you show us some? Heck there must be MANY "tons" of those photos floating around if there are literally "tons" of scratched up lenses, eh? Try not to overwhelm us with too many at a time, k?

Me, I've used everything from KimWipes to my T-shirt to clean a lens or filter when needed over the past 43 years, and still no scratched up lenses or filters in my collection. Guess I must be doing it wrong, huh?

Yes. Extremely. Especially in conjunction with the notion that lens cleaning is "dangerous". That's fall on the floor gut-bustingly funny.

This is a beginner forum. You haven't seen tons of lens front elements scratched from amateur cleaning?
No, I haven't. Not on this forum, and not in real life over the past 43 years. Maybe I've just been hanging out with the wrong crowd.

I've seen lots of it.
"Tons", no doubt. Ever seen a photo negatively affected by these "tons" of scratched front elements? Could you show us some? Heck there must be MANY "tons" of those photos floating around if there are literally "tons" of scratched up lenses, eh? Try not to overwhelm us with too many at a time, k?

Me, I've used everything from KimWipes to my T-shirt to clean a lens or filter when needed over the past 43 years, and still no scratched up lenses or filters in my collection. Guess I must be doing it wrong, huh?

Even funnier is the notion that UV filters will hurt images. You disagree with my practices. Fine. No need to be rude about it.

...Even funnier is the notion that UV filters will hurt images...
Everything placed between the sensor and subject will affect the image. The degree of effect and/or degradation is dependant on many factors, optical quality being chief among them. A high-quality UV filter will probably have little apparent effect on IQ, but it will have an effect.

I can't say that I've ever seen a lens element scratched by improper cleaning either; I've seen a few where the coating has been worn off, but that tends to be on older lenses when coating technology was relatively new and unsophisticated.

With respect to your assertion that UV filters are "plain, flat glass", that is incorrect. Yes, EVERYTHING filters UV light, even the atmosphere attentuates UV to some degree, HOWEVER UV filters have additional attenuation built in to their design. If you do want a "protection filter", at least for digital work, why not simply buy a high-quality clear optical "filter" from B+W, Heliopan or other reputable maker?

The best use for filters is snazzy drink coasters.

...Even funnier is the notion that UV filters will hurt images...
Everything placed between the sensor and subject will affect the image. The degree of effect and/or degradation is dependant on many factors, optical quality being chief among them. A high-quality UV filter will probably have little apparent effect on IQ, but it will have an effect.

I can't say that I've ever seen a lens element scratched by improper cleaning either; I've seen a few where the coating has been worn off, but that tends to be on older lenses when coating technology was relatively new and unsophisticated.

With respect to your assertion that UV filters are "plain, flat glass", that is incorrect. Yes, EVERYTHING filters UV light, even the atmosphere attentuates UV to some degree, HOWEVER UV filters have additional attenuation built in to their design. If you do want a "protection filter", at least for digital work, why not simply buy a high-quality clear optical "filter" from B+W, Heliopan or other reputable maker?

OK. I disagree with you but I will let it go. The group has its favorite do's and don's and doesn't want anybody messing with them. I'll leave this thread alone.

This is a general question not directed to any of the previous argument.

What are you protecting the front element from? IMO the best protection is to handle a lens with care. I had UV filters on my first lenses and they didn't even keep the dust out so I ended up cleaning it more because there was 3x the glass to clean. Also, some of the filters decrease the light by 1/3 stop or so. I just don't see the benefit on a regular basis. I can understand in certain harsh environments it would be good to have and may be worth the loss of light and quality (blowing sand is the instance I am thinking of).

Even funnier is the notion that UV filters will hurt images.
I've personally done the testing and seen the Newton rings. I've also seen flares, ghosts and even scratch damage on a front element from a filter being shattered and it's glass doing the damage. That's what I base my views on - reality. You?

I notice you skipped over everything else in my post challenging you to actually show examples of images ruined by these "tons" of front elements scratched from cleaning that you claim to have personally seen. Now, why would that be?

You disagree with my practices. Fine.
Actually, that's not true. You can do as you please, and it doesn't bother me one bit. I do disagree with giving out inaccurate information however.

No need to be rude about it.
The truth is not rude, but it can, on occasion, be blunt.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back