filter questions and ideas?

aparis99

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
OK, for xmas i got some filters and 58mm adapter from Lensmate. I love the metal adapter from lensmate vs a plastic one!

So , i got a UV, Polarizing, and ND8 filter. The UV doesnt seem to have much use but for a lens protector, but when im outside (sunny) wouldnt i wanna use the Polarizer instead? what differences will i see in Pol. and the UV outdoors?

Also, i played with the ND filter inside last night, was able to take 10 sec+ exposures and they look fine instead of overexposed, and if u slowly walk past, it doesnt really expose u so i guess that'd be nice to take pics of somethin and eliminate ppl walking by? Not sure what else i can use it for besides flowing water? ideas?

ND8 filter is pretty strong, but I have used ND6 to lower the light when I shoot high speed film in sunny daylight.

well, keep in mind that a uv filter does just that...filters uv light. do we see uv light? the answer is no, we dont. on a hazy day is when you would want to use a uv filter...it wont do much good in the dead of winter. what it does is basically eliminate the little tiny specks of light that shine through droplets of water in the air, or so somebody once told me. the main effect behind a uv filter is that it takes a more saturated picture. a polarizing filter will probably have a more noticeable effect, except it does not work on metallic surfaces. it will eliminate glare from plastic, painted surfaces, glass (to an extent) and water (to an extent as well).

if you really want something to protect the lens, just use a skylight.

ftops said:
well, keep in mind that a uv filter does just that...filters uv light. do we see uv light? the answer is no, we dont. on a hazy day is when you would want to use a uv filter...it wont do much good in the dead of winter. what it does is basically eliminate the little tiny specks of light that shine through droplets of water in the air, or so somebody once told me. the main effect behind a uv filter is that it takes a more saturated picture. a polarizing filter will probably have a more noticeable effect, except it does not work on metallic surfaces. it will eliminate glare from plastic, painted surfaces, glass (to an extent) and water (to an extent as well).

if you really want something to protect the lens, just use a skylight.

It is the other way around. UV filters are nothing more than clear optical glass. They have no other purpose than to protect a lens. All glass filters UV light to some extent. Skylight filters (1A), on the other hand, have a slight warming tint - very slight.

Most reactions

Back