Filter staking on a 30 YO manual zoom

Battou

TPF junkie!
Reaction score
Website
www.photo-lucidity.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well....I am not very impressed with my 60 - 300, It's difficult to focus and it's construction is poler opposite of my 80 - 200 (a lens I have gotten used to). A major reson I bought it was for shooting some youth sporting events. Now the soccer games I am not too worried about, however the lacross games have me a little conserned. These are kids who are really just learning and enjoying the game so I antisipate strey balls going off in random directions. With lacross the ball is smaller and heavy thrown with equipment, I can't garentee wether I will be able to move in time (bare in mind, these are youth events....there are no grandstands just a playing field).

Now since I do not want a lacross ball for a front element I figure I'd throw a a couple filters on to the lens just in case (a lacross ball thrown by even a child will destroy one in a hurry), My disposable filter collection is restricted to 62mm, and I have only two 62mm lenses, the 60 - 300mm Canon mount zoom and a 200mm Pentax mount tele. I full well intend to use the Canon for this so the 200mm is out. If I can get away with stacking on this lens I might use it, but it's it's only saving grace at the moment. If the effects are estimated to be too deliterious to the shot, I'll just shoot with 400mm form further away and holler at people who get in the way.

So my question is, What should I expect at the best and the worst of two or more filters on my FD zoom lens?

At best vignetting. At worst double ghosting even with nice multicoated ones, oh and since it's worst case probably even more vignetting.

At best vignetting. At worst double ghosting even with nice multicoated ones, oh and since it's worst case probably even more vignetting.

Disposable filters not multicoated so.... but anywho. Any ideas as to sevarity vignetting, or am I going to need to eat the price of a roll of film and check it?

how important are the shots of the lacrosse game? get a 12exp roll and check it out

Depends entirely on the coverage of your viewfinder. Surely you have one camera that can display within at least 5% of the actual photo view. Stick em on and look through would be my first guess. Unless this isn't going on an SLR.

how important are the shots of the lacrosse game? get a 12exp roll and check it out

Important enough to warrent paying nine bucks on a roll of film just to have in case I need it.

I do have a couple 12 exp rolls, but I am reluctent to use them in this application, they are the only 100 speed I have acess to locally, but if need be I can pick up some store brand 200 reasonably cheap.

Depends entirely on the coverage of your viewfinder. Surely you have one camera that can display within at least 5% of the actual photo view. Stick em on and look through would be my first guess. Unless this isn't going on an SLR.

My primary view finder has 92% vertical coverage, 93% horizontal coverage. and my Back up has 93.5% vertical coverage, 96% horizontal coverage. I'm sure I can get a rough idea from there but I do know I have had dramatic dissapointment from viewfinder to print in the past.

I do have some time before all this is needed so, I'll do that as well and run a few shots off if it does not look too bad.

Most reactions

Back