filter step up rings/ lens hood

BraCas

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So i thought of saving some $$ by buying a more expensive filter sized to my largest lens and step up rings to the smaller ones. My thought was to spend more on one than less on many. Well my lens hoods dont work now. Has anybody used a cheaper rubber lens hood and screw it to the polarizing filter so you can twist it? good or bad idea??

thnaks

Using step up rings to attach larger filters is a good idea. However depending on what focal length lens you're using there is the chance that you may get some vignetting when using a screw on lens hood combined with the step up ring and filter. The wider the lens you use the more likely this could happen.

Yeah....step rings...they sound so great in theory...rubber lens hoods--I have a few, use them mostly on my 50mm and also on my small-diameter zooms like my 50-135/3.5 and 75-150/3.5 and 80-200 f/4. Mine are old, but still working. These used to be pretty common in the 1980's and 1990's. I am sure there must be some made in China pipeline that can still supply these. As long as they don't cause vignetting, they ought to be alright.

Keep in mind that on a crop-body camera, the hood for something like an 85mm lens will work on a 50mm lens, and provide a pretty good degree of flare- and rain-protection. This is due to the narrower angle of view that the sensor "sees" from each lens length.

Right sized polarizers don't really work with the OEM lens hoods either because you can't turn the filter with the hood on. So the step rings with screw on rubber hoods are as good an option as any since with them you can turn the filter (and the hood with it).

Keep in mind that those hoods collapse, negating one of the prime reasons to use a hood: protecting the front element of the lens. I just don't use a hood when I have a polarizer on. I don't tend to leave polarizers on.

Most reactions

Back