Filter troubles

Rollei12

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I developed my second roll of film today and looked forward to seeing a photo I did with my red filter. I was hoping for a nice black sky and the photo came out with a grey sky. Now how could that happen?

Seen below, the lighter toned trees are with the red filter and the darker toned trees are with no filter.

Photo was taken and exposure was adjusted (aperature, focus, etc.) and completed WITH the filter on.

Do I need to stack 2 filters on my camera for a darker sky?

Film: Fomapan 400
Filter: B+W 090 MRC

Attachments

• try1.jpg
    try1.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 147
  • try2.jpg
    try2.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 104
It looks like you didn't adjust your exposure enough.

Which red filter do you have? There should be a number on it. If not, how about a good color photo of it?

It looks like you didn't adjust your exposure enough.

Which red filter do you have? There should be a number on it. If not, how about a good color photo of it?

I posted the filter I had on the first post: a B+W 090...that's what it's called. It's a dark red filter.

The only thing is, if my camera gave me a correct exposure reading with the filter on, any attempts to make things darker would only cause the photo to underexpose...

I find I get better exposures by metering without the filter, then manually adjusting the exposure based on the filter factor. A No. 25 is usually 3 stops.

The color shift of the filter very often fools the metering system.

I'm old enough to have used cameras with a) no metering - you used a handheld light meter, and b) no TTL metering, so you still had to adjust the metered value by the filter's compensation factor.

When I got my first TTL-metered camera (a Canon AE-1) I was so excited about not having to do all that math any more. I found, though, that comparing meter reading in the camera with and without, the camera didn't always automatically adjust for the filter by what the filter's factor should have been.

TTL metering and filters...... maybe not.

One issue might have been a very pale blue sky to begin with.

Using a 25 red filter doesn't automatically guarantee a near-black sky. If the sky was a very pale blue to start with, the red filter can only do so much.

Most reactions

Back