Filters and waterfalls

tM1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just got new D300s, got an expo with ol Ken Duncan. Just wondering.. I don't know much about filters for different locations or sunsets but should I use a Neutral Density filter for waterfalls and tropic rainforrests? A mate said something about it..

Just got new D300s, got an expo with ol Ken Duncan. Just wondering.. I don't know much about filters for different locations or sunsets but should I use a Neutral Density filter for waterfalls and tropic rainforrests? A mate said something about it..

Not sure about rain forests... You'd use an ND filter to shoot moving water if you are trying to achieve a smooth/cotton candy look and light levels are too high otherwise for a long exposure time.

ND's let you use long shutter times during the day, so they're great for waterfalls.

About forests... I've messed around with this myself and I can't figure out if it matters or not. I feel like when I use an ND and leave the shutter open for 2 minutes or something, I get better color saturation. I haven't decided if I could get the same effect in post, my intuition says yes, but I'm not certain. In my experience though, long exposures with an ND in the forest end up with wonderful color. Maybe my ND filter just has a color cast...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back