Filters...brands?

Thanks. I think I will get the Hoya cpl 52 & 67mm sizes for my lenses and just get a step up ring and hoya uv for my sigma so I don't have to get a third size cpl. I already have one Hoya uv filter for my 70-300 and I will just keep the two promaster ones that national camera threw in for free on my 35 and 18-55.

You might want to try a few shots without them. Free filters probably aren't worth what you paid for them and may be doing more harm than good.

Best brands: Lee, Singh-Ray, B+W and Heliopan.

Good brands: Tiffen and Hoya

Don't bother: Pretty much everything else.

Yeah, pretty good generalizations there.

"Promaster" filters are low-quality, high-markup PROFIT-MAKERS for the dealers that sell them. I used to work for a camera store chain; filters are one of the absolutely MOST-marked-up items in the entire photographic world!!!

A $30 Promaster probably sets the dealer back $4.99 in lots of 10 filters, and $3.99 in lots of 25, and $3.09 in lots of 100. I'm not kidding!!! FIlters are an item where the salesman can sell them for $30; the store makes a $27 margin, and out of that can afford to pay the salesman as much as $8 for a "spiff". So, the store's ownership makes $18 pure profit, the salesman earns $8 for the filter sale, and then you the customer get, well...you...get....screwed!!!

THAT is how retail photo equipment sales work in many,many stores. Cheap filters are marked up with un-holy markups from wholesale to retail!!!!!

Currently, both B&H and Adorama give free filters ($60 value) with purchase of 24-70mm glasses. Do you want to put those cheap filters on a $1800 glasses?
I won't.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back