filters galore

electricalperson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i have a couple of filters that are about 20 years old they never been used or even opened. they will fit on my camera that i have now. i have a red one and one that has 2 colors a clear and a purplish blue.

can anyone explain to me what these do?:hugs::mrgreen:

The red one is probably a standard #25 red used with B&W films to make clouds stand out better in shots with clear blue skys. It darkens anything blue more than it darkens neutral or warm (yellow, orange, red) hues. Many manufactures use different designations. In ancient times it was usually maked "A" (the old Wratten designation that was replaced by #25) and commonly basterdized into 25A (mixing the modern and antique Wratten designations). Other manufacuters use R60 and various old designations. These are very useful in B&W work, particularily with landscapes.

The split clear/blue-purple is an odd duck of little real use, particularily by itself. When the Cokin filters hit the market such things became a short term fad. They were to be used with a clear/grey, with various grey densities, so that the grey on one filter aligned with the clear on the other. The effects were somewhat odd. The clear/grey (clear/ND) filters survided on the market as they are somewhat useful for color work by darkening overly bright skies when polarizers don't function (sky isn't close to a 45 degree angle to the sun).

Most reactions

Back