Filters in general... ?'s

CRman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know a little of the basics. Are there any good links explaining the types, whens and wheres to use and so forth. Like ND filters. I have seen .02 .04. 06 and so forth. Yellow for B&W in different shades.

I have discovered I love landscape. I may do a little portrait work for fun since I am now the "guy with the camera" and everyone wants family or personal shots.

Any suggestions where to begain since this is such a broad subject?

Oh... one last thing. Multi coated or regular. Multi is $$$ but I supose better? And difference in how you would clean them? Thanks a bunch guys!

Marc

Thast a very general question that you can answer yourself by just looking around here and reading.

A search will help you get specific info on your ND filter question... and as for the rest... get ready to spend a LOT of time with it and a very good percentage of your "disposable income". This hobby once taken a little seriously involves some expensive purchases.

I know a little of the basics. Are there any good links explaining the types, whens and wheres to use and so forth. Like ND filters. I have seen .02 .04. 06 and so forth. Yellow for B&W in different shades.

I have discovered I love landscape. I may do a little portrait work for fun since I am now the "guy with the camera" and everyone wants family or personal shots.

Any suggestions where to begain since this is such a broad subject?

Oh... one last thing. Multi coated or regular. Multi is $$$ but I supose better? And difference in how you would clean them? Thanks a bunch guys!

Marc

Poke around here:
http://www.hoyafilter.com/index.html

Yes, multicoated is important. Bear in mind that a filter always reduces whatever quality your lens can produce. A cheap filter can turn an excellent lens into one that's merely good. It can turn a good lens into a marginal lens, etc., etc.

Use lens cleaning fluid and tissues to clean filters.

This might be helpful: http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/filters.htm

Also, a good filter shouldn't have any noticeable effect on picture quality. The only difference I've seen with my lenses, even cheap ones (filters & lenses) is that I tend to get some ghosting and other artifacts when the light starts to fade.

are you using film or digital?

The numbers on the ND filters are 'stops', so a .6 ND filter will reduce incoming light by .6 of a stop.

Multi-coated filters are designed to reduce flare versus non-coated which can catch light and cause flare.

The numbers on the ND filters are 'stops', so a .6 ND filter will reduce incoming light by .6 of a stop.
Actually an 0.3 is a 1-stop, 0.6 is 2-stops, and 0.9 is 3-stops. I forget how they came up with that, but it's pretty confusing.

That is wrong. Manufacturers name their ND filters in different ways. For example, Cokin uses ND2, ND4, ND8 (1, 2, 3 stops respectively) whereas Lee uses 0.3, 0.6, 0.9 (1, 2, 3 stops respectively). So a 0.6 ND filter is likely to be 2 stops.

Most reactions

Back