Filters...Polarizer Specifically

Not to be critical or contradict, but last time I looked, the step down ring was more than the polarizing filter. I was going to drop from 77mm to 58mm and it was also special order. :greenpbl:

So I just bought the correct filter.

If that was they case then that certainly was the correct decision. When I bought mine the rings were much cheaper than the filters I bought.

For digital the only filters I carry are polarizers, and some neutral density filters to help when syncing non-Canon flashes in bright situations.

You can see the effects of a polarizing filter by putting on a pair of polarized sunglasses (or holding the pol filter up to you eye, and rotating the ring). The strength of the effect of polarized sunglasses/filters is influenced by what angle it is to the sun/light source. As you turn and look in different directions you can see the effect come and go. Green foliage goes from washed out, bluish green to lush, yellow green. Cyan skies move towards a darker blue, almost navy. Other colors become more saturated. You can see through reflections on glass and water.

If you use step-up rings, can you still use a lens hood?

If you have a hood the size of the filter then sure. But if you have a hood for your 52mm diameter lens and you are stepping up to 58 then obviously your hood will not fit anymore.

I have a 52mm lens with a hood that I can fit a 62mm filter on it with the hood. I need to space it out about the distance of one filter so it would be 52 filter -> step up ring -> 62 filter and the hood has to go on first. So basically it depends on the size and shape of the hood and you would just have to try to see if it fits.

I have a Hoya HMC circular polarizer, do I need to turn the filter ring to get the best effect? I just tried it outside and can't get it to do anything different, though it is almost sunset.

Yes you need to turn the ring, and the best position would be 90 degrees to the light source. See the link posted above by AUZambo for a better explanation.

I have a Hoya HMC circular polarizer, do I need to turn the filter ring to get the best effect? I just tried it outside and can't get it to do anything different, though it is almost sunset.

The easiest way I know of to see the effect is look at a reflection in a window or off of a shiney surface, just not a mirror. A computer monitor often works too. Look at it through the polarizer and start rotating the polarizer. at certain positions the reflection should go away.

How do you know when to use a polarizer?

Well I just ordered my polarizer, I went with the Hoya Pro-1 Digital.

Photog38: I'm sure someone else can answer your question better, but a polarizer will make your sky bluer and water more see-through, cuts down reflections among other things. Someone will most definitely correct me if I'm wrong :D

But I plan to use it when I shoot outside basically.

Here is some more information: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/polarizers.shtml

This may be a dumb question...I got one the other day put it on took a pic, took it off and took a pic. Whole pic looks a tad darker like I'm wearing very mild sunglasses. Should I up my ISO when it's on?

From everything I've read you have to compensate 1-2 stops when using a polarizer depending on your angle with the sun. I haven't gotten mine yet so I don't know for sure, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Your dslr will automatically compensate for the filter so you don't need to do anything, unless you are shooting manually using an external light meter for readings.

I'm planning on picking up a circular polarizer this weekend. I've read the Hoya page describing the difference between Standard and HMC filters, but how much of a difference will the average photographer actually see?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back