Filters [uv/cpol/clear]

Pure

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I need few filters since the ones I have suck.

Despite the arguments between UV or no UV filter, I need one. A lot of my shooting goes on in dusty, gross places, and I need a good UV filter.

All filters need to fit 77mm sized threads.
Nikon Lenses.

At what point would you need a SLIM filter for wider lenses?

They would be primarily for an 80-200mm f/2.8 on a DX so a normal UV and CPOL would be fine.

Point me in the right direction.

I know that BW/HOYA/TIFFEN make good ones, but what about the plain Nikon one?

Nikon | 77mm Circular Polarizer Filter II | 2260 | B&H Photo
Slim and Cheap(er)

What is the difference between..
Kaeseman vs non-Kaesemanhttp://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/10889-REG/B_W_66045620_77_mm_Kaeseman_Circular.htmlhttp://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/10889-REG/B_W_66045620_77_mm_Kaeseman_Circular.htmlhttp://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/10889-REG/B_W_66045620_77_mm_Kaeseman_Circular.html

Multi-Resistant Coating (MRC) vs Multi-Coated (MC)

Basically what I need is a UV filter, and a CPOL.

At what point would you need a SLIM filter for wider lenses?
For an ultra wide lens.

I know that BW/HOYA/TIFFEN make good ones, but what about the plain Nikon one
I've not heard anything bad about them.

What is the difference between...
Kaeseman vs non-Kaeseman?
Somewhere between $50 to $100. :lol:
Supposedly higher quality materials.

Multi-Resistant Coating (MRC) vs Multi-Coated (MC)
:confused:

from what I have read kaeseman are sealed so that moisture does not get into the filter. A worthy addition if you are shooting outside in all weathers.
As for the slim filters the only downside that I know of is that they have no forward thread to add additional attachments to a lens - most times this is not important, but if your using a ringflash, want to add another ring mounted filter or want to add a ringmounted lens hood then its something that you can't do with the slims.

Also I have found that its worth hunting out a ring mounted lens hood if your using circular polarizers as otherwise adjusting the polarizer with a hood on is tricky to do and not best suited to fast shooting *unless you like finger marks in shots ;)). I hope to be able to test one of these hoods out in a few weeks when I get one of ebay.

Few tips. Hoya make several kinds of filters. Horrible ones and excellent ones. I recommend a Hoya SHMC UV filter. It's not their top of the range Pro1D filter (which is a filter made with glass and coated with marketing bull****), but the SHMC has a very fine multicoating on it. And I use it myself on the 80-200 f/2.8

My guess is the Nikon is going to be ludicrously expensive.

The difference is mainly in the quality of the coatings. I don't buy any other arguments about filters. I don't care if they are moisture sealed they cost $100, they are all optical quality glass, I don't care if the glass is 1mm or 2mm thick, it's nothing compared to large number of thick elements in the lens itself. But the quality of the coatings is most definitely important.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...100830-more-hoya-filter-comparison-tests.html A filter comparison.

Well as far as I know the Nikon is multicoated. I use the clear for lens protection because, I too live in a dusty area and shoot in dusty areas. I would rather clean the multicoating off of my filter than my lens any day.

What mm would you say I would need a slim filter for? On both a DX and FX body.

So at like 20mm on a FX would I get vig? And DX?

I'm confused by your question. You don't have a FX lens according to your siggy. Why worry?

Slim filters shouldn't be a concern untill you get to a 10mm or 12mm lens, and you're nowhere near that. Even then, you could probably get away with a regular filter by shooting to crop.

What mm would you say I would need a slim filter for? On both a DX and FX body.

So at like 20mm on a FX would I get vig? And DX?

My friend uses a standard Hoya HMC (not a thin filter) on her Sigma 10-20mm with no vignetting. Don't worry about it.

If it does vignette take the filter back and grab a thinner one.

I'm confused by your question. You don't have a FX lens according to your siggy. Why worry?

Slim filters shouldn't be a concern untill you get to a 10mm or 12mm lens, and you're nowhere near that. Even then, you could probably get away with a regular filter by shooting to crop.

Since I'll hopefully have these lenses more than a few years, and one day I'll upgrade to a FX camera, It'd be nice not to have to upgrade everything.

Although, I could just buy new filters....

I think I was enjoying the New Year a bit early last night. :lol:

The filters wouldn't matter if your lens or body was a DX or a FX. Just get the correct filter size.

I think I was enjoying the New Year a bit early last night. :lol:

The filters wouldn't matter if your lens or body was a DX or a FX. Just get the correct filter size.

Haha, ok.

I need a really good CPOL, that'll bring out the colors. Any specific ones to look at?

Most reactions

Back