Filters

Sean1965

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I wanted to start building on some filters ND, Gradated Filters, Polarizing for some new lenses I have, I came across an article to buy some filters that were square with the drop in slots in front of the lens and these fit all of your lenses wanted some opinions of these types of setups are they worth buying?

If you want to do Grad ND's they are about the only way you can go. Cokin, Lee, Singh Ray are names to look for

I use Those types of systems for Grad ND and ND, Polarizers I use conventional round

The nice part is if you have different diameter filter sizes on your lenses, you can get one Frame system and then just different adapter rings for each lens Diameter

I've used the Cokins for over 20 years. 1 of each filter fits all my lenses, and that goes for my ND's, graduated NDs, polarizer, and a bunch of colored filters that I don't use anymore (Photoshop replaced them).

They have more than one size of filters and holders; one for smaller lens diameters ,one for larger lens diameters, and yet another for even larger lens diameters, each more expensive than the last.

They have two levels of quality, from my experience with them. The cheaper NDs have a bit of a magenta cast to them. Not really a problem if you shoot a gray card frame first and use that as your reference in post (or dial in white balance with it on the camera).

I have no personal experience with the Lee or Singh Ray, but from all I've read, their filters are much higher in quality.

Ok so you both like the Slide in filters as opposed to the round ones that you buy for each lens. I am only a everyday type of photographer I have no aspirations of doing anything but taking really nice photos for myself and family. But I do want to learn and do not want to waste money as this is the most expensive hobby I have ever had. But I am loving it.

If you want to do graduated ND's then you'll need the square setup to really use them correctly. For polarizer's, and flat ND's, I just buy them to fit my largest diameter lens, and then use step up rings to attach them to the smaller lenses. Had I known when I started that I was going to want grad ND's, I probably would've gone square for everything.

I have the Lee filter system but it is expensive but good, not sure how much longer you will be able to get Cokin they went under a few months ago

Most reactions

Back