Filters?

Meeskephoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone, I am really new to the forum, somewhat new to photography. I have been taking classes and getting more and more into it, reading every article and upgrading my equipment, etc. I just bought a canon 60D with 50mm 1.4 lens, and I am looking to also get some accessories and gear to go with it, make it the ultimate package. So I am most confused about filters when it comes to my list. My question for everyone is: What filters do I need and why? I shoot a lot of landscape, portrait and street stuff. So what filters will benefit my style and increase my good pictures? I know after reading several magazines that filters can really change a picture. I just want to know how and stuff. Also I am looking for advice on other necessities for my kit.

Hope my question was not to confusing or long, thanks for any feedback!

I recommend a quality CPL filter, and for the landscape stuff a quality set of GND filters - 0.3, 0.6. 0.9. By stacking within a 3 GND filter set, you can also have 1.2, 1.5, and 1.8.

CPL = Circular Polarizing GND = Graduated Neutral Density

0.3 = 1 stop. 0.6 = 2-stops. 0.9 = 3 stops. Rectangular GND filters allow placing the graduation higher or lower in the image than screw on the end of the lens round GND filters.

B+W 58mm XS-Pro Kaesemann Circular Polarizer with Multi-Resistant Nano Coating

Cheap filters will cause image quality issues.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
What filters do I need and why?

Rather presumptuous of me to answer after Keith, but I would like to add;

Take Keith's advice on the CPL and GND for your landscape shots. The reason you might want these is to modify the light coming into the lens. The polarizer cuts glare from water, snow and ice. (any reflective surface) The GND helps by cutting excess light from the sky (or snow, etc,) allowing more exposure in the dark areas of the landscape. Thus it evens out the exposure when you have a very bright sky and dark areas.

If you're shooting digital, forget about any colored filters, because those can be applied later on your computer.

As for "skylight" filters, if somebody has convinced you that you should purchase a UV filter and "keep it on all the time", just be aware that cheap filters will degrade your IQ (image quality). I don't keep one on the front all the time. It might come in handy in certain situations, but mostly you can delay this filter until someday when your money is burning a hole in your pocket.

Thanks for the great advice guys, I think it makes sense for me to get some GND filters and probably a CPL eventually. I'm going to try to shoot for the high quality filters like Designer said, I don't think it's a rush but I will definitely be looking forward to what difference the GND filters make on my landscapes.

Thanks for the advice!!!!

Hey everyone, I am really new to the forum, somewhat new to photography. I have been taking classes and getting more and more into it, reading every article and upgrading my equipment, etc. I just bought a canon 60D with 50mm 1.4 lens, and I am looking to also get some accessories and gear to go with it, make it the ultimate package. So I am most confused about filters when it comes to my list. My question for everyone is: What filters do I need and why? I shoot a lot of landscape, portrait and street stuff. So what filters will benefit my style and increase my good pictures? I know after reading several magazines that filters can really change a picture. I just want to know how and stuff. Also I am looking for advice on other necessities for my kit.

Hope my question was not to confusing or long, thanks for any feedback!

CPL is a good one, especially if you shoot through glass. Cuts down on those pesky reflections. GND is good if your doing landscape work - other than that I don't really carry much else for filters other than a UV which is kept on the lens constantly. The UV filter itself really doesn't do much other than protect the lens from getting scratched. Other than that most any filter effect I want - warming, cooling, etc.. I can do in post processing.

A CPL will saturate the greens and blues in landscape shots. A CPL can make the sky a lovely deep blue and clouds nice and white.
But the Sun has to be 90° to the lens long axis and not more than 30° above the horizon.
Like Designer mentioned, later in the day the CPL filter can help eliminate reflections form shiny surfaces like water and snow.

The best landscape photos are usually made in the morning and in the evening before the Sun gets 30° above the horizon.

Most reactions

Back