Final desicion, I swear. I'm getting a Nikon.

I would definitely get either the D80 or a D40 (not x version).

I have both, buying the D40 as a "walk around point-n-shooter" after already owning a D80. IMHO the extra $200 for the x is SO not worth it. It has a few features (mostly higher resolution, but also a bigger ISO range and a better image processor) but bottom-line, you can't tell a spit of difference between the image quality (I have shot with both...) so unless you are planning on blowing your images up to 30x24, it is simply not worth the extra money IMHO...

The D40x is nearly the same price as the much superior D80. The lens compatibility is a much bigger deal on an $800 camera than it is on a $600 camera, IMHO... a 25 percent bigger deal.

The D40 takes great pictures. I don't think the D40x takes any better pictures. I would save the $200 or spend $200 more and get the D80 which can use a bunch more of the AF lenses including third party glass.

But that is me.

This is really something that my wife and I would like to get into, I took a look at some classes to sign my wife and I up for her B-Day/ which this camera would be her Gift also, So with that said ......... how about this

Nikon D80, 10.2 Megapixel, SLR Digital Camera with Nikon 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens. http://www.wisetronics.com/ProductDe...de=nkd80k18135

Does this look like a good deal?

"the poor person pays twice"

If you know you're going to buy a D80 or D200 in the future, why spend $500-$800 on a D40 now and spend an additional $1000 later on another camera instead of just getting the right camera now and save $500-$800?

Take out a loan and finance it.

d40x is a great camera ad you should be happy with it. The lack of lenses is a downfall but all the newer lenses coming out should have the af-s.

the 18-55kit it comes with got very nice reviews and coupled with the 55-200 vr ($250)its a great setup.

If you still want that price range but also want the prime lenses, pick up the d50.

****Current D40 Owner*****

How long would it take you to save for a D80. If you are going to take photography past candid shots then I would really consider the D80. It took me only 4 months to out grow the D40. I will tell you what I really want most now that I have learned a little bit about photography.

1. I want a sub-command dial, so that I can adjust the shutter and aperture very easily. On the D40 if I'm in manual I have to hold down the exposure adjustment button while I turn the command dial to change the aperture. Which is an okay situation BUT now I have to go into the menu system to adjust the exposure compensation. Plus sometimes I don't hold down the exposure button hard enough so when I turn the command dial it changes the shutter speed instead of the aperture like I wanted.

2. I want a depth of field preview button.

3. I want to have the option to be able to auto focus my 50mm 1.8 lens.

4. I want a bracket button

***On a Side Note***
Most camera equipment holds it's value pretty good. I mean heck when I was looking for a good deal on an SB-600 I noticed one on eBay that was used, only came with the speedlite and carrying case. Some pawn shop was selling it. Well it sold for 3 dollars more than it would cost if I bought mine new from B&H. I still can't believe that happened. I sold my SB-400 only losing 40 dollars from what I paid for it and I had it for 3 months. I think I could have got more but I had a buy it now option and it sold in like 3 hours. So if you can't want for the D80 then get the D40 now and if you out grow it then just sell it and get the D80. You most likely will only lose 150 - 250 dollars off the D40.

I don't think the D40x takes any better pictures.
I agree get the D40 instead of the D40x and save some money.

Gah!

Get a second job, deliver pizzas for a month and pay cash :)

+1

Unless of course you have ZERO credit and want a quick way to establish a credit history. Other than that - yea - cash.

This is really something that my wife and I would like to get into, I took a look at some classes to sign my wife and I up for her B-Day/ which this camera would be her Gift also, So with that said ......... how about this

Nikon D80, 10.2 Megapixel, SLR Digital Camera with Nikon 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens. http://www.wisetronics.com/ProductDe...de=nkd80k18135

Does this look like a good deal?

you would have to change your TPF handle if you got a D80 :)

Most reactions

Back