Finally bought my first DSLR... BUT!!!

misterjones

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Was perusing one of the local pawn shops looking for music gear when I walked past a case full of cameras and lenses and stopped. I've been telling myself I need to get a DSLR for years and figured if there was one for cheap in the case I'd grab it and eventually upgrade when the time came. Found a Canon EOS Rebel XSi tucked away at the bottom of the case for $90, but it didn't have a lens. Checked it out and figured "what the hell, I'll blow $90 and won't remember where it went in a week". The case had a number of lenses in it so I picked up a basic Canon 18-55mm they had in the case for $40, a Tamron 117D 28-80mm they had for $10(!!!), and then set my sights on a Tamron A09 (AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD) with a uv filter, of which they had two in the case for $50 each.

Walked out the door with a smile, got home, then realized I grabbed then wrong A09. I grabbed one for, I believe, Nikon cameras. Unfortunately, the two Tamron lenses were "final sales" so I can't return it, but I'm wondering if there's an adapter that would allow me to use it anyways.

So far the camera checks out. I just need a charger for the battery and I'm good to go... And hopefully an adapter for that lens.

... is it normal to start plotting your next lens purchase so soon???

272334423_326977279282749_4623366798976679759_n.jpg

Nope.
You are out of luck, there is no Nikon to EF adapter.

Contact the store, they may allow you to exchange the lens, since you bought the entire kit from them.

Was perusing one of the local pawn shops looking for music gear when I walked past a case full of cameras and lenses and stopped. I've been telling myself I need to get a DSLR for years and figured if there was one for cheap in the case I'd grab it and eventually upgrade when the time came. Found a Canon EOS Rebel XSi tucked away at the bottom of the case for $90, but it didn't have a lens. Checked it out and figured "what the hell, I'll blow $90 and won't remember where it went in a week". The case had a number of lenses in it so I picked up a basic Canon 18-55mm they had in the case for $40, a Tamron 117D 28-80mm they had for $10(!!!), and then set my sights on a Tamron A09 (AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD) with a uv filter, of which they had two in the case for $50 each.

Walked out the door with a smile, got home, then realized I grabbed then wrong A09. I grabbed one for, I believe, Nikon cameras. Unfortunately, the two Tamron lenses were "final sales" so I can't return it, but I'm wondering if there's an adapter that would allow me to use it anyways.

So far the camera checks out. I just need a charger for the battery and I'm good to go... And hopefully an adapter for that lens.

View attachment 253076
You might find an adapter here:
Good luck, and welcome to TPF!

Nope.
You are out of luck, there is no Nikon to EF adapter.

Contact the store, they may allow you to exchange the lens, since you bought the entire kit from them.

Nah, it's a pawn shop and it was "all sales are final", at least for the two Tamron lenses (I have 15 days on the camera and Canon lens).

Oh well...

You might find an adapter here:
Good luck, and welcome to TPF!

Thanks for this. Doesn't look like I can use AF with an adapter but I'm no stranger to manual so it'll just be a matter of getting back into it.

(also, technically I've been a member for just over 11 years but my posts are years apart)

What is the best camera discover ever in the world?

Not sure if this is what you are asking BUT I was gifted a box of "junk" cameras and in the bottom was a 1950's Leica rangefinder. Oh and a customer at work just gave me my first 4x5 Graflex (pics coming soon to collector corner).

Sorry for the thread hijack.

Thanks for this. Doesn't look like I can use AF with an adapter but I'm no stranger to manual so it'll just be a matter of getting back into it.

(also, technically I've been a member for just over 11 years but my posts are years apart)
You'll find manual focus on a DSLR to be different, as there is no split-image or microprism in the viewfinder. The only focus aid would be an indicator at the bottom right of that camera's viewfinder. The indicator lights up when the selected AF point has a subject in focus.

The only way to adapt out a Nikon lens is with a mirrorless camera.

The computer systems between Nikon and Canon are vastly different anyway and are not compatable.

You'll find manual focus on a DSLR to be different, as there is no split-image or microprism in the viewfinder. The only focus aid would be an indicator at the bottom right of that camera's viewfinder. The indicator lights up when the selected AF point has a subject in focus.

good to know. Thanks.

If it is your first DSLR, then you are probably used to shooting with manual settings. I use my old film camera lenses with my Canon T6 Rebel DSLR and adapters.

Auto focus is nice when you are in a hurry. However, if you have a bit of time, it does not take too long to figure out how to make your camera/lens combo work.

Probably the most important thing you learn is; do you like photography enough to spend the big bucks.

If it is your first DSLR, then you are probably used to shooting with manual settings. I use my old film camera lenses with my Canon T6 Rebel DSLR and adapters.

Auto focus is nice when you are in a hurry. However, if you have a bit of time, it does not take too long to figure out how to make your camera/lens combo work.

Probably the most important thing you learn is; do you like photography enough to spend the big bucks.

I was at one point, but I sold my camera and lenses back in the early 90's when my interest waned a bit. In hindsight I should have kept it.

Yes, I have several hobbies that drain my resources. I was slow to upgrade from an Olympus digital with non removable zoom lens. However, once I did, it opened all sorts of rabbit holes to explore.

I have adapters for my old film camera lenses, and my telescope plus the high ISO make for some interesting ambient light night photos, especially with a full moon. This is with an entry level Canon T6 Rebel from a big box store.

Fun is where you find it.

View attachment 253076
Yes it's actually quite normal to start plotting your next lens purchase....., BUT note that you are actually VERY sick. You are suffering from an extreme case of GAS. This disease could bankrupt you, it could get you a divorced and worse, your dog could leave you.
Take a big handful of Tums and call me in the morning!!!
SS

PS, as to the lens, go back and ask them if they'll exchange, if not, offer to exchange plus $10. It is, after all, a pawn shop, they'll make $10!

Yes it's actually quite normal to start plotting your next lens purchase....., BUT note that you are actually VERY sick. You are suffering from an extreme case of GAS. This disease could bankrupt you, it could get you a divorced and worse, your dog could leave you.
Take a big handful of Tums and call me in the morning!!!
SS

PS, as to the lens, go back and ask them if they'll exchange, if not, offer to exchange plus $10. It is, after all, a pawn shop, they'll make $10!

I'm up to 9 lenses now. I need a bigger bag and I keep dreaming of prime lenses and a tilt shift lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back