I am Big, I am Mike
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.mikehodson.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've been talking about this for a while...and I ordered it before X-mas...or at least I told my buddy at the camera shop to order it for me. I finally got it today :cheer:

IMG_0740-web.jpg

Shot at F2.8...focus point is about the middle of the image.
IMG_0744-web.jpg

Again at F2.8...focused on stem
IMG_0747-web.jpg

Ooh very nice. Both pictures are very sharp. :D

The only thing I dont like about Tamron, is the reversal of zoom range. Canon goes one way, Tarmron, they other.

The only thing I dont like about Tamron, is the reversal of zoom range. Canon goes one way, Tarmron, they other.
Ya...that is a little awkward...but not very hard to get used to.

Also, the Tamron is a little weird in that the focus ring turns when the lens is auto focusing. It's kind of a surprise when it starts moving under your fingers. Again, it's something that is easy to get used to.

Congrats on your purchase... I hear good things about that lens... and judging by the pics those things were right...

Congrats Big Mike, you will love the lens. I opted for that lens over the 17-40mm f4L when I bought. I tested them both and the Tamron was as sharp as the Canon and faster glass. Have fun with the new toy.

Hey Big Mike, do you mind me asking the cost?Looks like a nice lense, one I think I would be interested in.Cheers

I got it for $480 CDN.

It is listed at around $500 in most Canadian stores...and at $530 in my local store. Lucky for me, my local store has a price match policy and Vistek has is on for $480.

Not too shabby considering that the Canon equivalent, EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM, is $1500.

congrats big mike! I'll be expecting more photos from this thing... I've been thinking about getting the Canon 17-40L, but this looks like a pretty nice alternative.

will this lens work on a film body? or is strictly for a dslr like the EF-S lenses?

this is great....do they have compatible models for nikon?.....how about quality?

congrats big mike! I'll be expecting more photos from this thing... I've been thinking about getting the Canon 17-40L, but this looks like a pretty nice alternative.
That was what I was considering at first. The 17-40 L is supposed to be very sharp, it's full frame...and it' an L. :drool:

However, it's a fair bit more expensive than the Tamron and I don't think the F4 is fast enough for things like weddings etc.

I'm still wishing that I could have got the 17-55 F2.8 IS...that lens is da bomb.

Can I ask how much, as want to compare prices in US to UK, as postage is around $30 for that sort of lens, and good luck with it, I believe your using it on Canon 350D ??

Cheers Steve:thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back