Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
not new, but new to me.
ED AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8 used from Adorama.
a lot of fussing about Adorama lately...but I got my lens 1 day ahead of the UPS ETA, and it was as described.
funny thing about it though...
works great on D300 and D200, does NOT work on our D90. gives me a FEE error (the error for the aperture ring not communicating with the camera)
even called Nikon about it and they have no idea except that it just might not be compatible with the D90. which is weird, because I had an ED AF 300mm f/4 that worked just fine on the D90.
good thing I have other cameras to put it on. its an older lens, but a tank. its about the same size as the 70-300 VR lens, but in a fixed focal length.
Its basically a bargain grade lens, minor wear on the barrel, a few minor scratches on the front element (all on the outside edge of the lens). I took a few test shots and cant find anything wrong on the images, so im pretty happy with it, even if i DO have to use it on our older bodies. If anyone has some idea on how it will work on the D90, i would appreciate it. All Nikon could say is that it isn't on the D90 compatibility list, but it isn't on the D90 NON-compatible list of lenses. they suggested trying setting the camera to spot metering, but it didn't help.

its not bad handheld, but i can see a mono pod or tripod being much easier. even taking a few test shots i got about half of them blurred. guess its time to work on some handheld techniques. Aside the convenience of zooms, im really starting to like prime lenses. the AF is a little louder than newer lenses, but it isnt too terribly bad. i can live with it. This lens will give us something a little longer in f/2.8 without having to shell out for a monster 70-200. the AF is actually pretty snappy, and it doesn't seem to have any problems hitting focus in low light. could be the camera too. Even though im stuck using the older bodies with this lens, I think it will be a lens I go to pretty frequently.

View attachment 39201

Clean the electrical contacts, make sure they line up correctly?

also check the ribbon cable that carries the contacts to the electronics board. I had one that cracked on a 28~85.

I bought one of these over 20 years ago, with a Kodak DSLR. The lens changed hands a long time ago, I still have a 40 year old Nikkor-P 180/2.8 factory AI converted.

I have a Nikkor 70-210 4-5.6D that I use both on my D700 and my D300 with no problems... yet every once in a while it won't work. The next time I mount it it works just fine. In other words, try mounting the 180 2.8 on the D90 again tomorrow and see it if works.

Your new lens is renowned for its sensational sharpness at a reasonable price. I considered getting one, but changed my mind at the last minute for a reason that will probably be a non-issue for you: the lens doesn't have a rear element. Since I shoot most of my stuff in dusty environments (dirt roads, abandoned rural houses, etc.), a lens without a rear element was a recipe for disaster. I guess that you'd just need to be a tad more careful when switching lenses.

How much did that cost? I cant wait to see pictures with it.

So what would be wrong with using it on your D300.... nothing that I could think of except body envy.

Nothing wrong with it per se... It just would have been nice for the lens to work with all the cameras. So far though, im really liking it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back