Finally Ordered a Tripod...

TimothyJinx

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.timothymillerphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been researching and trying to figure out the best tripod for me. I've been using a cheap, plastic pan/tilt one and it has cost me more than a few shots. So, I bit the bullet and ordered a Really Right Stuff TVC 24L with BH-40 ball head. I also sprung for the L-bracket. UPS says it will be here on Thursday. That same day I'm supposed to go with my wife and daughter for some all day school orientation thing in Lexington. I need some great excuses to get out of this! :) (not really)

Wow, I checked out their site. Wow. Looks like one heck of a nice 'pod.

Wow, I checked out their site. Wow. Looks like one heck of a nice 'pod.

Yeah, maybe overkill for this rookie. But I wanted to make sure I got something that that would suit me for years to come. Now, if Thursday would just get here...

I think you pretty well accomplished that ;) Their stuff is about as good as it gets so you should never have any complaints in the tripod department.

Good choice. I've never had any regrets about buying RRS gear. It's a shame that there is a slight difference in the dovetail profile between Arca Swiss and RRS (to avoid infringing Arca patents, I believe) but if you use each manufacturer's screw clamp option instead of the lever option they are compatible (eg the 'classic' screw clamp version of the Arca Cube takes RRS plates, and vice-versa for RRS screw clamps with Arca plates and rails). No problem if you stick to one manufacturer, however.

I think you pretty well accomplished that ;) Their stuff is about as good as it gets so you should never have any complaints in the tripod department.
Yeah. It put me behind on my quest to get a Canon 5DM3. But it would have been a crime to put that camera on the tripod I was using!

Good choice. I've never had any regrets about buying RRS gear. It's a shame that there is a slight difference in the dovetail profile between Arca Swiss and RRS (to avoid infringing Arca patents, I believe) but if you use each manufacturer's screw clamp option instead of the lever option they are compatible (eg the 'classic' screw clamp version of the Arca Cube takes RRS plates, and vice-versa for RRS screw clamps with Arca plates and rails). No problem if you stick to one manufacturer, however.
Thanks for the good info. I bought the L-bracket for the body and I bought a lens plate for my 70-200. Hopefully I am good for a while!

Congrats! That's some nice gear.
Thanks!

My tripod and ball head arrived yesterday. Wow, this is a solid piece of gear!

Now to start from scratch, saving to buy that 5DM3! It's gonna be a long climb...

My tripod and ball head arrived yesterday. Wow, this is a solid piece of gear!

Now to start from scratch, saving to buy that 5DM3! It's gonna be a long climb...
That is a nice tripod you got there buddy. I think you should go buy yourself a mark iii to put on top of it. Just do it! I am an enabler.

I think you should go buy yourself a mark iii to put on top of it. Just do it! I am an enabler.

Yeah, do it. Now you can just tell your wife that Kathy told you it was okay ;)

So I am assuming you guys are going in thirds with me? Sweet! :)

I'm happy to go in thirds. Let me know what the THIRD digit was to the right of the decimal point in the price tag and I'll happy forward the funds to you. :p

Most reactions

Back