Finally Purchased - Canon EF-S 10-22mm

.SimO.

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well I just wanted to share with the audience that I took the plunge today and ordered the Canon EF-S 10-22mm. Been a fan of it for quite awhile and figured this will be a key essential for all my Random Adventure Moments. I've had too many "Man, I wish I could fit this all in one shot" (including with my Sigma 17-50 2.8) excuses and decided to take action. Just wanted to share mostly due to not seeing much traffic regarding this lens for the crop body folks. if anyone would like to share their images taken with the lens or thoughts for others, that would be great.

Main reasons for purchase:
- Sharp as a new razor
- True wide angle designated for EF-S mounts
- Had funds available
- Handy in tight/close cornered situations (some reason I find myself in these quite a bit... if you know what I mean)
- My primary currently is the Sigma 17-50 2.8 so the 10-22 will compliment it very nicely
- Decided to keep continuing on with my 600d/T3i since it is a wonderful little power house. I do run into moments where a FF or 7d would come in handy but I decided i'd have more fun with new glass.

Can't wait to share some pictures once it arrives.

Looking forward to seeing examples from you.

I have the 14mm for my FF camera (I guess that'd work out to roughly something between 8 & 9mm on a crop-body). I find these lenses take some getting used to. Normally I like to fill up the frame with my subject to reveal lots of interesting detail. If I stand at a distance that I might guess for most of my lenses, the subject is usually farther and smaller than I expect. But some people are very good at getting a subject of interest in the foreground and allow the lens to make the background "fall away" from that subject (massively exaggerating the distance to the background.)

I probably need to go shooting with JUST the 14mm and force my self to use it more often until composition with it becomes 2nd nature.

I have that exact lens and I really like it. Congrats on your new lens!
Looking forward to seeing some photos!

Looking forward to seeing examples from you.

I have the 14mm for my FF camera (I guess that'd work out to roughly something between 8 & 9mm on a crop-body). I find these lenses take some getting used to. Normally I like to fill up the frame with my subject to reveal lots of interesting detail. If I stand at a distance that I might guess for most of my lenses, the subject is usually farther and smaller than I expect. But some people are very good at getting a subject of interest in the foreground and allow the lens to make the background "fall away" from that subject (massively exaggerating the distance to the background.)

I probably need to go shooting with JUST the 14mm and force my self to use it more often until composition with it becomes 2nd nature.
Yeah, I will definitely be practicing quite a bit. I do love the dramatic outcome it can have and I'm excited to test it out. Definitely go out with the 14mm and give your others a break. It's probably time to cycle to the 14mm anyways, right? :)

I have that exact lens and I really like it. Congrats on your new lens! Looking forward to seeing some photos!
Thank you very much and i'll post soon. This will go great for my Random Adventure Moments, lol.

Good buy! A wide lens is a necessity I think.

In my opinion it is much wiser to buy EF lens rather than EF-S one. These EF-S lenses are of no use when one upgrades to full frame sensor.

Task oh, that's really funny. Considering the 2 lenses you have are both ef-s lens's, also not many people intend to upgrade to a full frame camera. He bought what he needed at the time of purchase. Camera equipment holds its value fairly well, so even if he does decide to upgrade to a ff camera at some point he can resell his gear.

I say good purchase.

In my opinion it is much wiser to buy EF lens rather than EF-S one. These EF-S lenses are of no use when one upgrades to full frame sensor.

big difference between "if" and "when" some folks are perfectly content on crop frames. ;-)

Wow. Pally cow and I agree on something.

Yeah, I don't plan on making a switch to FF or an upgraded body anytime soon. I enjoy this hobby and I feel I'll get more personal satisfaction knowing I took a great shot with an entry level camera.

I had the 10-22mm for three years, and it's a fine lens. As has been noted by many others, if Canon ever gave the "L" designation to an EF-S lens, this one would have been top of the list. It DOES take a little getting used to, and you have to be careful not to get your feet in the frame sometimes, but once you learn where it shines, you'll like it. I sold mine for very nearly what I paid for it, so if you ever DO move to F/F, you can recoup much of your investment.

I'll echo what CanonJim and others have said about the lens - excellent quality. However, there's a learning curve associated with using such a wide-angle effectively. While the "wide angle" is what most are thinking about, the other properties (deeper DOF, ability to create strong separation between foreground and background, strong perspective distortion) require some getting used to and require practice before you can really take advantage of it. Oh, and always check the bottom of the frame for feet, expecially if you are shooting in portrait. And NEVER shoot a wide-angle with someone appearing at the frame edge - they will automatically gain 300 lbs.

Much appreciated for the information provided. Definitely knew about the feet problem and can't wait to work on the other concepts you guys brought up. Should be exciting for sure!

Now if the lens would finally arrive, lol. Looks like it should be on the door steps today!

Most of us have already upgraded to full frames from crop sensors or planning to do so keeping in view our budgets. Therefore, it is always better to invest in EF lenses from day one instead of first purchasing EF-S ones and then selling them afterwards. I have two EF-S lenses (one came with the camera itslelf, the kit lens, and the other one purchased by me 55-250 mm at a time when I had no knowledge about these two type of lenses) and I'm not even thinking to buy another EF-S lens for that will be of no use when I upgrade to full frame. Ask your heart this question. Are you sticking to cropped sensor all your life? If no then why to invest for something which has no value in the long run.

Most reactions

Back