Finding camera time

tirediron said:
I wish, but no. I am lucky enough though to have a job which frequently finds me in different countries, and usually affords me a significant amount of time to shoot while I am there.

At least get to take beautiful pics on company time. Lol, I never really wanted to travel until now. I would love to just go somewhere like brazil and take pics. That would be amazing. ::dreamy eyes::

I have slammed on the brakes hit the shoulder in reverse full throttle jumped out and started snapping pics to not miss something. I don't mind having my camera out in public but I wouldn't hand it to someone and say can you take a pic of me. Dslr isn't really for that anyway my 199.00 nikon coolpix is good for that.

g-fi said:
To add, if you are worried about being jacked or your gear getting messed up, insure your gear. I couldn't really tell from your post if you were saying you only have a point and shoot, or if you have a different set of gear, but peace of mind through insurance really isn't that expensive.

I agree. Insurance is very good to have!

I have slammed on the brakes hit the shoulder in reverse full throttle jumped out and started snapping pics to not miss something. I don't mind having my camera out in public but I wouldn't hand it to someone and say can you take a pic of me. Dslr isn't really for that anyway my 199.00 nikon coolpix is good for that.

LOL, not sure I would go that far to get a pic, don't want to endanger myself or others to get a pic. When I pay tons of money for a camera, no one is touching it!

I will have to look into it once I get a dslr. I don't think I really need it for my L120. Besides, its really the "what ifs" of getting robbed that concerns me. "what if he/she knocks me upside my head/kills me/rapes me/beats me/etc. Thats my fear, not necessarily the "he stole my $300 camera." But thank you for the advice, before someone mentioned it earlier, i didn't know it was common practice to insure gear.

I live in a rural area. I wouldn't do that if people were in my car or if there were other cars near me but I can drive 30 min without seeing another vehicle. So it's feasible to slam on the brakes and floor it in reverse to get the shot. Plus it adds a little excitement.

I live in a rural area. I wouldn't do that if people were in my car or if there were other cars near me but I can drive 30 min without seeing another vehicle. So it's feasible to slam on the brakes and floor it in reverse to get the shot. Plus it adds a little excitement.

LOL, I am from a rural area and I must say that I feel your pain! In some ways it was nice but the nearest grocery store being 15 minutes away was a problem. LOL I do miss the scenary though. Alot more to take pics of than in the city. Not many flowers and such here.

Yeah I Am a single parent so time is valuable so if I am by myself I do whatever I can. I keep my camera with me as much as possible. I have a note pad I keep in the car as well so I can write down locations and times I see things I want to return to. That list seems never ending now but I will start scratching them off. Good luck and keep at it and get the shot whenever however you can.

Not to hijack your thread, but a question to Tirediron. Ae you insured against loss , theft etc.?

Writing down locations is a great idea! thanks!

LOL! I just came back from lunch wanting to ask that question :) They clouds are amazing today! and I was kicking myself in a car that I didn't take my camera with me.
This always happens to me when I leave the camera at home! I guess I should just start carrying it to work at least. I usually write down the locations but of course when it's time to shoot the light is not right or the sky is boring :)

True, it wasn't very expensive but my fear isn't really about the loss of the camera but more so the emotional aspect of getting robbed.

If someone wanted to rob ya, they would do it regardless if they saw a camera in your hand or not. Just make sure your priceless pictures are saved and youre good to go.

Just out of curiosity how many times have you been robbed and where about do you live? I just came from a month long trip in Eastern Europe/Russia where I walked through some dodgy areas and didn't feel unsafe in any way. Of-course I would not pull the camera in dodgy areas and had it in a nice sling bag which doesn't scream "I GOT PHOTOGEAR IN HERE"; Crumplers are good for this.

I take my camera and my gear where ever I go.

I shoot in the middle of mosh pits of heavy metal concerts, I shoot on the streets, etc.

Everywhere I go, my gear comes with me. Even when I go buy groceries I have my bag on my back. You never know when you'll need it!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back