Finding models

Whitelies

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
hi

I'm trying to learn portrait photography. Do you guys ever use websites like pupleport or model mayhem?

Please share your experiences.

If you're near a University, there will be a lot of students in degree programs interested in TF arrangements. You shoot their wardrobe (say...if they're in a design field) in exchange for posing. There will be drama students who need head shots for their portfolios.

With MM, if you aren't paying (but instead going for TF) you should expect a high percentage of flakes and no-shows. If you're looking to do more than just portraits, then hire a professional. He/she will know poses that make them look good (which means your photos will be good), will be capable of doing their own prep and serve as their own MUA, will have done dozens (or hundreds) of shoots and will have worked with a complete beginner (which you mostly are with portrait photography), will have lots of suggestions ("hey, this background will look distracting--maybe you'll want to move this table" or "I think the light would be better over here--do you want to try that?"). A pro won't care if you're good or not, they get paid even if your results are crap. They want to get paid and get referrals so as long as you behave, it will work out well. Starting out with a complete amateur may still be a learning experience but it may consist of you getting zero usable shots from the session.

Also for MM, you can join with a free account. But you can't message people unless they're your friends. So first you have to send a FR. If the person you send it to says "yes" only then can you message them about shooting. I don't know anything about Purpleport.

I'm serious about this: doing your first portrait shoot with someone who knows what they're doing, who can create great poses on their own...you'll learn so much.

Last tip: shoot a couple, stop, put the SD card in your reader and look at the shots on a bigger screen. You'll see stuff (i.e.: mistakes and problems) you didn't notice the first time around and adjust (rather than do the entire shoot with EV off by 3 stops or a speck in the middle of your lens.

Last edited:
Model Mayhem is nothing but flakes. I use the local modeling/photographer facebook page and have had great luck with it. A lot of very nice people who have turned into friends.

Thanks for the tips. I like the idea of speaking with people at the local university. Best regards.

Most reactions

Back