finding models

pocketshaver

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
model mayhem seems to be a good place but the fact is.... they want you to have 4 images minimum, of two different human models. nothing done with a cellphone, webcam, or anything that's not an actual camera.

Issue is, they don't let you know until AFTER you submit your profile for approval. I didn't know so I did some cellphone cat photos. That was good enough for photo.net standards.

However I was joining modelmayhem with the intent to FIND human models. So as I have no human photos, what the **** is a fella to do when he has no one to photograph

There are a gazillion ways to find models. Start with your local college (even a community college). Post an ad on a bulletin board. There will usually be an Art Dept. that has figure models or life models who pose for classes and will be interested picking up some extra income. If the school has a design or fashion or architecture school, there will usually be a student interested in trade: you shoot their clothing or portfolio or mock-ups and they'll pose for you. Anyone involved in drama will want headshots as well so the Theatre Dept students will line up for you. And you'll probably also find some students interested in posing "just for the heck of it."

Second, if you look at model mayhem you'll find some models who list their email addresses or websites. You want to find a professional traveling model. I know, you don't want to pay for a model. But the deal is: if you have no experience shooting models, than your first work is going to be crappy. Hiring a professional for your first shoot is going to make a huge difference. Just tell her or him "this is my first shoot with a person" and that model will be able to create their own poses, identify good settings, have a wardrobe that works (or none if that's the direction you're going and be comfortable with it), and have suggestions for you with your composition. I'm serious--hire a professional. You're more likely to get photos from your first shoot that you can use AND you'll learn so much.

Third, post an ad on a bulletin board at your local community center. The one near me has classes on photography and a range of other art courses (painting, sketching, ceramics, dance, yoga, tai chi).

Fourth, find a subject (as in: "a topic") and approach someone involved in that subject. For instance, approach a ballet dancer and ask him if she'll pose for you (and you'll send her edits she can use for her portfolio). Or a yoga instructor. Or a mixed martial arts student. There is a dog sports competition near you (like an agility competition or Noseworks or Rally)? Show up and ask some of the teams if you can shoot them. Cosplay is a great way to get subjects to pose for you--find a local group or event and show up. And then ASK people "can I shoot you?" and they'll eager pose to show off their work. I bet your area has a farmer's market. Show up after setup is done, look for a booth that isn't busy. Buy a cookie or loaf of bread and ask them to pose for a few shots. Local 4th of July Parades are a great way to find subjects who will give you 5 minutes of posing--from the local HS band in the parade to people who'll be riding in cars in the middle of the parade.

Fifth--use social media. I know a number of photographers (very serious ones) who say they get more models from Facebook than MM. Instagram is another good place to go.

Sixth, is there a local studio near you? I'm in the DC area. All of the studios that have rental space have websites. And on their websites they have lists of models that are affiliated with their studio--shoot with them and get reduced rates.

Seventh, look at "Meet-up" (the website). Find photography groups local to you (there are about 70+ in my area). While some will be about wildlife or shooting products, there will definitely be a few involving models or workshops with models.

Last edited:
meetup has a few options for me, model mayhem has the most. However its going to be some time till I have photos of two or more adult models.

Did a quick search for known photographers in my area. Theres perhaps 61. But they all seem to do nothing but school photos and try to turn taking photos of school athletics into a money maker.

Use any photos you want use. Strip the EXIF info and say, "Canon 70D", or "Nikon D700". Problem solved. Look on Facebook and Instagram.

I've gotten the impression that mayhem was the key word with that site.

60 photographers, that sounds like plenty of competition. You'll probably need to get really good and learn marketing to be able to compete.

What's your long term goal? Do you want to get into doing portrait photography? I think that seems to be mostly seniors, or engagements, etc. or sports teams. If you're serious about it you'll probably need to find places to make contacts to do work in trade and build a portfolio, etc. In my area there's a camera club that has studio nights; maybe try local community art centers etc. in your area and see what they have. Ask before you start putting up anything on their bulletin boards.

You'll need to be getting releases signed if you intend to use any of the photos. With young people you better make sure they're 18. My past experience has been in sports (am now doing art prints) and if they're still in school the team/league gets releases/permissions, etc. Better make sure you're covered.

You'll also need to be learning about contracts (even for trade I think it would be better to have it in writing). Try American Society of Media Photographers - Homepage or PPA for sample releases, etc, (ASMP has a 'pocket' release and an app.) If you go to events and approach people you'll need to get releases signed (and that gets into event photography which I've done and it's different than doing portraits). If you go to a college it'd be better to ask where you can post a notice, etc. I'm not sure what response you'd get to just tacking up things around campus.

I never shot models professional, but i had good luck with actors.
It is fine to try and use a pretty Friend/Sister/Neighbor, but.........there are not a whole lot of things that make a person feel more Stupid/Embarrassed than "Modeling".
Even a dedicated High School aged actor has already broken down some of those barriers that make modeling feel ridiculous.
good luck

There are lots of adult website where you can find women to shoot, but due to the terms and conditions of this website, I cannot post URL's of these websites here.
The terms don't allow us to help you find women.

MM is ok but not awesome. the models around here on there are not what I would consider a model. plus they never buy anything.

youre better off doing a reverse model call and find people youd like to photograph on FB/IG and send them a message with a portfolio portrait offer, making sure to include a chaperone requirement.

half wont get the message, those that do half wont take you up on it, but send enough messages and youll get a few takers. the more images you have on your profile the easier it will become. Plus you can do a sales session for them to pick out a free 8x10 and youll prob get a sale, which funds the passion. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back