finding the best price?

Kofman13

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am buying a Nikon D90 in the next few days and i'm curious what methods y'all use to find the best deal on a specific item.
I am looking for just the body as i wouldnt use the kit lens much.
so far the best price i found was $750 from Jr.com but they are temp out of stock.. second to that was $780 at adorama and B&H.
Anyone have sites or forums to refer to? to see if there is an even better price somewhere legit? thanks

Generally speaking I would check out the large chainstores and local camera shop prices - ie checkout hte highstreet retailers (most if not all are online now). Then check the main online distributers - Amazon, B&H and Adorama in the US.

After that you should have a pretty good idea of the gears current market worth and most times one of those above options will give you a decent price and should be the one you go for.
There might be a few local legit dealers you could look into as well. Otherwise many (esp in the US where there appear to be a lot of bait and switch operations) other internet retailer are going to be suspect, especailly if their prices are considerably better than the leading retailers.

Sometimes local camera stores also offer pretty good prices. I bought the D90 with kit lens at a local store and it was abut $100 cheaper than online.

I don't know where in NYC you live but in lower Manhattan there used to be (25 years ago) a few smaller camera stores on Nassau Street and I believe one a little larger on Broadway (I think it was Wolfe Camera) - I know things change they may not be there any more but back then they had a robust business.

Last edited:
I am buying a Nikon D90 in the next few days and i'm curious what methods y'all use to find the best deal on a specific item.
I am looking for just the body as i wouldnt use the kit lens much.
so far the best price i found was $750 from Jr.com but they are temp out of stock.. second to that was $780 at adorama and B&H.
Anyone have sites or forums to refer to? to see if there is an even better price somewhere legit? thanks

The best advice anyone can give you is to check the ratings and customer feedback of a store at resellerratings.com, before you part with your cc details.

BTW at Adorama, we will always make every effort to price match (unit cost as well as shipping), to any reputable retailer.

Solid deals can be found on Ebay. I got my D60 and the kit lens for about $100 less than retail at the time. I bought through Cameta Camera on Long Island, though. I also got a decent deal on my 70-300 through a random guy who upgraded to a better lens. Just be careful and go through Paypal if you can.

This works for me as well but I have a very well developed relationship with the local camera stores. They extend themselves to me more than just the typical customer that walks through the door.

Most reactions

Back