Finding Vivian Maier

Bobby Ironsights

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recently rewatched the documentary "Finding Vivian Maier", it's available for free on my public library's website Kanopy, well, the website my library subscribes to.

Perhaps your library subscribes to it as well, I highly recommend checking it out.

I think of her and that video when I am doing street with a yashica 124 mat g and 3200 film. So light, portable and inexpensive for a mf camera. Fixed 50 mm equiv lens perfect for street. 35 mm with a 50 or 35 and finer grain hp5 film over shoulder. Another 35 mm camera in the bag with color portra and an 85. All my fav films in fav sizes and it is so light.

Yes, great documentary. She's one of my favorite photographers, although I think the guy who owns the rights may have printed things she wouldn't have.

Every time I'm in the middle of nowhere with a camera thinking I must be crazy, I remember Vivian Maier. She did it for decades, all alone, no audience or feedback, and definitely a little crazy ;)

Yes, great documentary. She's one of my favorite photographers, although I think the guy who owns the rights may have printed things she wouldn't have.

Every time I'm in the middle of nowhere with a camera thinking I must be crazy, I remember Vivian Maier. She did it for decades, all alone, no audience or feedback, and definitely a little crazy ;)
Well she didn't print anything, at least publicly. In any case, her work is published and the public has gotten to enjoy it. It's too bad it wasn't published while she was alive. I think she would have been proud of herself.

Oh yeah, now I remember. I did watch the documentary. I think my Brother has the DVD.

Sure thing, people who didn't know they were related and never had contact get approached by an ambulance chaser and he starts to promise them money for being heirs. I've read another much longer account of the legal claims, which are just a money grab. Good to see that someone might say, direct descendants only and stop this farce.

On the positive, she used the Rollie in earlier times, which is an advantage, the waist level viewfinder is really not as obtrusive as holding up some big camera to your face. I admire her as someone who just went to see what she could see.

I wonder what the later photos are like, as it says she started in a new direction, other than people on the street?

If you can track it down, this Winogrand doc is killer:

Thanks! Just rented this from Amazon for $3.99, and will watch later.

Not only is a tlr like the rollei or yashica I use not as noticable shot from the waist, because there is no mirror slap, it is nearly silent. Folks expect a camera to be shot in the direction you are facing from eye level. Even looking down or not looking into the waist level view finder or directly at the subject allows totall y candid shots to be taken. Not what I do always, but the possibility is there. Also with no hunking lens sticking out telling it is aimed in that direction, folks don't have a clue about the lenses on this camera. It is also feather light and able to be carried all day effortlessly. For street, you get to shoot quickly "from the hip" and using zone focus don't have to even focus.

Flip-up LCD screens allow the same disappearing act, though I rarely see them used that way on the street. The little Ricoh GR II and III have an adjustable "snap focus" feature enabled by a full shutter press. Great for street shooting.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back