Fine art photographers

Status
Not open for further replies.
It struck me as being a bit odd that Mary is one month away from the end of a diploma course in photography, and the only name she knows is Ansel Adams. She really needs help. Despite my best efforts to re-educate her, even our cat has heard of Ansel Adams, and every year she gives me a bloody Ansel Adams calendar for Christmas. He's fully commodified.

As I've already asked in your other thread: Who are the photographers, well-known or not, with whom you feel an affinity?

OK, some more words to Google:

Raymond Moore, Victor Burgin, John Hilliard, John Baldessari, Laura McPhee, Joel Sternfield, New Topographics, Robert Adams, Paul Hill, Thomas Joshua Cooper, Jem Southam, Hamish Fulton, Richard Long, Andy Goldsworthy, Robert Polidori, Candida Hofer, Lewis Balz, Ten.8, Alec Soth, Struan Gray, Aperture magazine, Creative Camera magazine, Bernd and Hilla Becher, Dusseldorf school, Peter Fraser, John X Berger, Gregory Crewdson, Tim Atherton, Richard Misrach, Adam Bartos, Esko Mannikko, Wolfgang Tillmans, Lawrence Beck, Barbara Bosworth, Katy Grannan, Wijnanda Deroo, Sze Tsung Leong...

Some galleries etc to Google for contemporary and historical work:

Charles Isaacs

Robert Mann

Sonnabend

Luisotti

Pace/MacGill

Fraenkel

Yancey Richardson

Yossi Milo

I hope that I have managed to spell all those names correctly so that you can Google them easily. My apologies for any misspelt words.

Look at rob91's work here, and make your own mind up (I know that you will).

Good luck,
Helen

Postscript
The cat and I discussed this over breakfast. She had chicken, I had bacon and eggs. She suggested that you do a shameless ripoff of Janet Malcolm's article Pink Roses. It's about Andrew Bush's excellent photos of Bonnettstown Hall near Kilkenny. It mentions Vermeer, Degas, Cartier-Bresson and Kertesz, so there's your high class historical connection. Part of the article is about how looking at older art, in a broad sense, educates one's gaze. It includes a sentence made from the purest gold:

"It has become increasingly clear, as more and more art photographs are thrust into the world, that the average art photograph is an exercise in futility, and that unless one is sublimely gifted one would do better to take snapshots, which are unfailingly interesting."

Btw, Helen caught that... affinity, not infinity.

...and she has the list of names I'd suggest, except she has a much more exhaustive list.

Sorry to beat this horse, but a photography forum does preclude people from having opinions on other aspects of life... like spelling, grammar, the lack thereof, and its subsequent reflection on the person communicating.

It's a real shame because I wanted to help you with your photographic issue but you're unable to communicate. Actually, from your reaction, "unable" is not the correct word. Instead, I should say that you're "unwilling" to communicate.

With your PP attitude, you're facing a miserable future.

Oh my, you sound very immature.You know nothing about me, i am well able and willing to communicate. You may notice that alot of people understand what i am talking about, thank you. I am facing a great future, i love photography. You had no intentions in answering the issue, if you did you wouldnt have brought up this grammer issue. I think this only reflects poorly on you, as your just basically a Bully, trying to bring down other people.

Thanks Emerana (",)

Interesting fact: a lot of people who go into the visual media have problems with communicating by written or verbal means and often have dyslexia. That is why they go into the visual arts - they find it an easier way to communicate.
During my many years of teaching I usually found that the most talented and creative people had trouble with language, even when it was their native tongue. Which is why I am always prepared to overlook spelling mistakes and bad grammar and not make my help conditional on the supplicant producing 'perfect' English. But then, I'm not a small-minded person.
Now, can we please stick to the topic in question? The fine art tradition in Photography I believe it was.

Thanks, yes lets keep with the topic in question, fine art photography (",)

Hi Mary, I'll not answer your questions about photography as our esteemed fellow members of this forum have done a fine job of that, however I would point out to you a quirk of photographers.

Photographers deal in sections of time usually ranging from 1/8th to 1/8000ths of a second. As anyone is more comfortable with what they are used to, photographers are not the most patient group you will ever find.

Good luck,

mike

During my many years of teaching I usually found that the most talented and creative people had trouble with language, even when it was their native tongue. Which is why I am always prepared to overlook spelling mistakes and bad grammar and not make my help conditional on the supplicant producing 'perfect' English. But then, I'm not a small-minded person.

Although you are not 'small-minded', you did find an opportunity to characterize other respondents as small-minded. Perhaps that is just self-referential, self-aggrandizing and passive-aggressive behavior.

How about from now on we either answer the ladies question or not post in this thread at all. All this 'better spelling and grammar' side line is getting old, and only needs to be mentioned once if at all.
Time to move on, sounds like a plan to me.

Although you are not 'small-minded', you did find an opportunity to characterize other respondents as small-minded. Perhaps that is just self-referential, self-aggrandizing and passive-aggressive behavior.

:hail:

How about from now on we either answer the ladies question or not post in this thread at all. All this 'better spelling and grammar' side line is getting old, and only needs to be mentioned once if at all.
Time to move on, sounds like a plan to me.

The issue has progressed beyond spelling and grammar. When advised that we are unable to understand her questions, the child had three options…

1. I guess they have a point. If I want to deal with adults, I really should learn to speak like an adult.

2. They’re being unfair but I really need this information so I’ll play their game and communicate their way with the hope that I can get a passing grade in class.

3. They’re idiots and I’m going to tell them so. They’ve got to learn to do things my way. It doesn’t matter that I’m shooting myself in the foot. I don't need their help. I don't need help from anyone.

She chose option #3.

The issue has progressed beyond spelling and grammar. When advised that we are unable to understand her questions, the child had three options…

1. I guess they have a point. If I want to deal with adults, I really should learn to speak like an adult.

2. They’re being unfair but I really need this information so I’ll play their game and communicate their way with the hope that I can get a passing grade in class.

3. They’re idiots and I’m going to tell them so. They’ve got to learn to do things my way. It doesn’t matter that I’m shooting myself in the foot. I don't need their help. I don't need help from anyone.

She chose option #3.

FYI, you got ure grammer wrong Child, theres no child on here, only you it seems to be, I got help from other members, you cant seem to see that, who starts making up options? ones that arent true, thats so sad!
so I will have to agree with Arch, move on dude! lets get on with my photography issue, as I already said.

Don't forget option #4

4. Let them spend time answering then ignore them.

I didnt ignore them, i said thanks to everyone that is answering my topic,
Thanks Helen. I am looking the ones you gave me at the moment.

She chose option #3.

And you also had 3 options.....

1. Understand that some people are not great at explaining themselves on forums or with written english and grammar, and although you had a hard time understanding her, you could still use your vast intellect to help her out.

2. Don't understand what she wrote (although its hardly japanese) so just choose to ignore this thread altogether rather than start an irrelevant conversation.

3. Don't understand what she wrote (again its hardly japanese) but just despite her, refuse to help in any way and instead make a big deal out of how she portrayed herself.

You chose 3... and fyi Hertz chose 1, although for you 2 would have been a fair choice too.

And you also had 3 options.....

1. Understand that some people are not great at explaining themselves on forums or with written english and grammar, and although you had a hard time understanding her, you could still use your vast intellect to help her out.

2. Don't understand what she wrote (although its hardly japanese) so just choose to ignore this thread altogether rather than start an irrelevant conversation.

3. Don't understand what she wrote (again its hardly japanese) but just despite her, refuse to help in any way and instead make a big deal out of how she portrayed herself.

You chose 3... and fyi Hertz chose 1, although for you 2 would have been a fair choice too.

Actually, I made every effort to assist but I needed to understand the question.

You had three options...

1. Answer her question since your vast intellect made it possible for you to understand what I was unable to understand.

2. Ask her to rephrase the question because you're also having difficulty in understanding.

3. Criticize those that wanted to help but couldn't understand the question.

You chose #3.

and fyi Hertz chose 1, although for you 2 would have been a fair choice too.

Why don't the others who gave positive answers get recognized for their contributions?

I am jealous.
Is Hertz the only favored faded academic here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back