Fine Art Photography

If someone calls my work art and pays me for it, that's fine with me.

I've always read fine art to be anything created for the sake of art and aesthetic.

A bowl that you eat out of is functional art. A bowl that you display is fine art.

A photograph that you show to family members to reminisce is functional art. A photograph that you hang on the wall to be admired is fine art.

For me fine art does not include anything digital
I thought it was all over when artists stopped grinding their own pigments!
No all top photo artists shoot film

If I shoot both does that make me a half-ass artist?

tumblr_mfzpuxNZgD1ql86bho1_500.gif

Typically the term 'fine art' has been used to describe painting/drawing, sculpture/ceramics, photography/printmaking.

Metalsmithing/jewelry, fiber/textiles could be considered fine art, could be considered more generally as art, or even a craft. It seems to depend on what studios are available anyplace what is offered as part of a fine art or art program. Usually basketry, quiltmaking, pottery, woodworking, would be considered craft. But any of those could be more generally considered art. I think it depends on what's being done or how it's being used or displayed (exhibited in a gallery, sold at craft shows).

If I print a photograph on paper and mat and frame it (or first submit it digitally to a juried exhibit) I'd consider it to be fine art. If I printed a photo on fabric and cut it up and made a quilt or sculptural fabric piece, I'd probably consider it craft or more generally art. When I've done sports I consider that photojournalism. The same photo could possibly fit more than one category although I find I do different type photos of sports than what I shoot that I'd consider art.

People seem to call something whatever they want to call it epecially online, and the term fine art photography seems to often be getting used in a general way. If you're working on a personal project you could probably just call it that. Is there a particular purpose for what you're working on? that could maybe help determine how you would define or describe it.

I've always read fine art to be anything created for the sake of art and aesthetic.

A bowl that you eat out of is functional art. A bowl that you display is fine art.

A photograph that you show to family members to reminisce is functional art. A photograph that you hang on the wall to be admired is fine art.

I like this explanation. Sounds like a good definition for Webster's :icon_thumleft:

I thought it was all over when artists stopped grinding their own pigments!
No all top photo artists shoot film

If I shoot both does that make me a half-ass artist?

tumblr_mfzpuxNZgD1ql86bho1_500.gif

I so totally agree with Mr. Ron Swanson!!

If you're working on a personal project you could probably just call it that. Is there a particular purpose for what you're working on? that could maybe help determine how you would define or describe it.

Well the social media oriented project is a simple series of images meant to show the world in a peculiar manner that most people don't see it in but is also a simple enough concept and visual stimuli that it works within the 3-second attention window a typical twitter or instagram photo tends to receive.

I'd be lying if I said it was purely art for art's sake. I definitely want it to have a positive impact on my social media following and business, but the work itself isn't fashioned any differently than most of my personal projects.. which tend to be sending a message, provoking thoughts, expressing feelings, or all three.

Last edited:
Also it needs to be large format 8x10, black and white, and can only be shot with a normal lens; wide and long focal lengths are cheats and cheats are not allowed.

Also it needs to be a Tessar; more than 4 pieces of glas are not allowed, lens coating is not allowed, aspherical is not allowed. Radioactive glas is OK but strongly recommented against.

If someone calls my work art and pays me for it, that's fine with me.
We have a winner !

Last edited:
Also it needs to be large format 8x10, black and white, and can only be shot with a normal lens; wide and long focal lengths are cheats and cheats are not allowed.

Also it needs to be a Tessar; more than 4 pieces of glas are not allowed, lens coating is not allowed, aspherical is not allowed. Radioactive glas is OK but strongly recommented against.

:cower: I've been doing it so wrong all these years. Ansel would be so disappointed in me!! :cower:

For me fine arts is mostly about producing a piece of work for the sake of it, because you're inspired, it isn't functionnal, it's simply art, the work in itself and the artistic approach is far more important than the medium used. The technicality isn't the priority, which gave the artist more latitude. It's not about reproducing what you see with your eyes, but what you see with your closed eyes, your inner vision, your soul. You have to get involved at a different level that you would normaly have been.

Last edited:
Oh, Art is Art, and Photography is Photography, and never the twain shall meet...

Most reactions

Back